Re[2]: BIRD 45.1 -- Dynamic clamps

From: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 07:33:00 PST

Text item:

Looking at the buffer scheduler keyword in the IBIS spec. I would like to make
suggestion that we rather modify that instead of adding these keywords (in
BIRD45.1). When it boils down to the operation of the device, it really doesn't
matter whether we call the I-V curves clamps or drivers, as long as there are
curves which can be controlled by something (time, voltage, etc.).

So I would like to suggest the addition of a couple of items to the buffer
scheduling mechanizm that would allow the translation (shifting) of the I-V
curves, and allow them to be controlled by the voltage on the I/O pad (kind of
like a feedback). If we had these features, we could use the scheduler to do a
lot of different things, including some of the devices that may come out in the
future.

Any comments?

Arpad

It seems to me that the values for V_trigger, V_trigger_min, and V_trigger_max
ought to be in the three column format the same as other typ, min, max data.
This is the convention used for other such data and to introduce a
new convention
without a clear reason for it would lead to confusion.

Thus,

| Subparameters: V_trigger, V_trigger_min, V_trigger_max

| Usage Rules: The [Dynamic GND Clamp] and [Dynamic PWR Clamp] specifications
| contain three subparameters and two keywords. The subparameters
| (V_trigger, V_trigger_min, V_trigger_max) specify the threshold
| clamp voltage value that causes the clamp to begin switching
| from "off" to "on" according to the [Pulse Table] section.
| These values correspond to the typical, weak (slow), and strong
| (fast) situations.

[Dynamic GND Clamp]

V_trigger = 1.4V
V_trigger_min = 1.2V
V_trigger_max = 1.6V

Would change to

| Subparameters: V_trigger

| Usage Rules: The [Dynamic GND Clamp] and [Dynamic PWR Clamp] specifications
| contain one subparameter and two keywords. The subparameter
| (V_trigger) specifies the threshold
| clamp voltage value that causes the clamp to begin switching
| from "off" to "on" according to the [Pulse Table] section.
| These values correspond to the typical, weak (slow), and strong
| (fast) situations.

[Dynamic GND Clamp]
| typ min max
V_trigger 1.4V 1.2V 1.6V

--
 -- Paul Gregory
   phone: (208) 396-5086               USmail: Hewlett-Packard