Re: connector models

From: Fred Balistreri <fred@apsimtech.com>
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 10:18:57 PST

Stephen Peters wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:28:44 John Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Maybe someone could help me clear up a point?
> > I've not been following recent IBIS activity
> > as closely as I should...
> >
> > I'm preparing an internal presentation on IBIS, and am
> > wondering what to say on the topic of connectors and cables.
> >
> > Are the following statements reasonably truthful?
> >
> > - Many attempts have been made to adapt IBIS to
> > the creation of connector and cable models. No
> > agreed synthax has been found, due mainly to the
> > complex nature of coupling.
> > - Limited connector and cable models are possible with
> > IBIS 3.0, using the expanded package model and the new
> > series element.
> > - There is no medium-term prospect of a better IBIS synthax
> > - Most simulator companies have developed their own
> > connector model synthax.
> >
> > Comments?
> > John
>
> Yes, I think that is a very accurate statement of the situation.
>
> Regards,
> Stephen Peters
> Intel Corp.
Its even a bit worse than that. Connector makers typically model the
electrical characteristics with some sort of field solver. The output
of the field solver can be in various formats. The most common is
Spice syntax. However it may be S parameters if a full wave solution is
used. Its clear that those companys will have to be accessed and
convienced to put out the models in IBIS format......once we can agree
to some standard. We are currently still working on semiconductor
vendors. Based on that experience I don't think its going to be an
easy job. I do have faith in Bob Ross and crew though.

Best Regards,

--
Fred Balistreri
fred@apsimtech.com