Re: The voltage range

From: Scott McMorrow <scottmc@icx.com>
Date: Thu Jul 03 1997 - 12:16:22 PDT

Vincent,

A diode has a V/I curve that characterizes the clamping
characteristic of that device. Discrete diodes tend to
have extramely strong clamping characteristics, and so
appear to have one particular Vf. However, a real diode
actually has a finite resistance. That resistance constitutes
what the V/I curve of the device will look like after the
diode has reached its Vf clamping voltage. Most CMOS
clamp diodes are actually ESD structures on the die, and
are designed to have fairly large losses. As a result,
the V/I curve should be extended in IBIS modeling to account
for the large real resistance of the device, and the imperfect
clamping that will occur as a result.

regards,

--scott

Scott McMorrow