the range of the voltage.

From: Stephen Peters <sjpeters@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Thu Jul 03 1997 - 14:56:08 PDT

Hello Vincent:

    The reason the IBIS specification requires the explicit ranges
is due to differences in the way simulators extrapolate data beyond the
last data point given. Some simulators will simply repeat the last
data point in a table, others will do a linear interpolation based
on the last two data points. For example, suppose a ground clamp
table was given only as:

 V I
+0 0
-0.2 0.000
-0.4 0.002
-0.6 0.020
-0.8 0.040

Some simulators may assume that at -1.0 volts the current
is 0.040 (repeating the last point), others may do a linear
extrapolation. To avoid this problem the IBIS spec explicitly
requires that data be given over the worst possible ranges
and input or output may see. (This worst possible range is
based on transmission line reflections.) Of course, if your
doing actual measurments or SPICE simulations you can always
lessen the range, then enter the full range of data in the model
itself by doing the extrapolation yourself.

  As to your second question, the IBIS parser does not (to
my knowledge) check the tables ranges. I think a very
legitimate argument can be made that it should.

          Regards,
          Stephen Peters
          Intel Corp.