needed for IBIS V3.1

From: Steve Kaufer <stevek@hyperlynx.com>
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 18:41:07 PDT

Mini-topic for the upcoming IBIS Summit meeting at DAC:

I believe it's important for V3.1 of the specification to include several
simple, clear example files, e.g., a simple IC using a minimum of
constructs, a more-complex IC using a few "extra" features like waveform
tables, a network-packaged passive device, and a bus switch.

Why? Because lacking these, the specification is so intimidating to
newcomers that many are being scared off, to the detriment of the entire
standard. Remember V1.x? It was a relatively quick, easily comprehended
"read." What we have now is richer and more powerful, but also exponentially
more confusing. Some of us on the committee are probably "velocitized" to
the point where we're not aware of the problem's gravity.

From recent conversations with IBIS "newbies" (and this includes
semiconductor-vendor personnel, unfortunately), I think it works like this:

1. Reads IBIS spec (or part of it).
2. Wants to kill self.
3. Hears about Spice-to-IBIS, and thinks "that's my only hope!"
4. Then the real trouble begins...

Personally, I'd like to see the opening page of the spec state clearly that
about 85% of modeling applications can use about 25% of the specification's
constructs, and point straight to the example models. Also good would be a
designation of some kind delineating between "basic" and "luxury" constructs.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions about this at the Summit...

Regards,

Steve Kaufer,
HyperLynx