Re[2]: Interpretation of Minimum/Maximum data in IBIS

From: Arpad Muranyi <Arpad_Muranyi@ccm.fm.intel.com>
Date: Wed May 07 1997 - 13:53:00 PDT

Text item:

Andy,

You are actually repeating my words alsmost exactly between the flames on/off
sections, including the flames... I brought this up in the times when the ver.
2.0 spec was formulating.

That is when the keyword [Temperature Range] was added. IBIS 1.1 didn't have a
keyword for it, it was only described in the data derivation section that slow
and fast conditions were supposed to include temperature and voltage supply
variations. When the keyword was discussed it was decided by the open forum
attendees, that it was not necessary to describe the meaning of min and max
under the keyword description section, because it was already written down in
the data derivation section. I didn't like that at all for the same reason you
don't...

(By the way, I checked, and in my file it was 1048 lines later...)

Regarding the two kinds of keywords, it was probably just an oversight. Usually
before a keywords get approved, it goes through several iterations, and whoever
wrote it must have not changed each occurance, and noone caught it.

Arpad

Arpad,

As long as you brought up the [Temperature] keyword, I might as well
address that particular issue. That was one of the (many) things
about the spec that bothers the heck out of me.

There is no [Temperature] keyword!

Yes I know [Temperature] is mentioned in that paragraph in the back
of the spec that you quoted; but if [Temperature] ever was a keyword,
it is not defined anywhere in the spec.

Are you trying to tell me that

  [Temperature]
and
  [Temperature Range]

are supposed to be equivalent?

If so, then

{FLAME ON}

this is no way to write a specification. They sure are not equivalent
to me.

Plus you can't define a keyword, saying simply that it has min and max
values, thereby implying that they are the min and max temperatures,
and giving no hint that they mean anything else ... and then 1050
lines later, at the bottom of the spec, explain that they really mean
something entirely different.

When I pick up a specification to check on some particular item, I
don't want to have to read it front to back, and then go back and
cross-reference everything that was "defined" over here but then
"defined" some more over there, and so on and so forth. PUT IT ALL
TOGETHER IN ONE PLACE.

In my opinion, the IBIS Spec needs a major re-write from start to
finish before it can be used. I cannot understand why it has taken
IBIS four years to get to this point yet it still doesn't have a spec
that hangs together.

{flame off}

Regards,
Andy Ingraham