Re: BIRD53 - IBIS FILE CHARACTER SET

From: John V Fitzpatrick <John.Fitzpatrick@ln.cit.alcatel.fr>
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 00:45:39 PDT

> Only ASCII characters, as defined in ANSI Standard X3.4-1986, may
> be used in an IBIS file. ASCII is a 7-bit code; 8-bit characters
> are not allowed.

Is there a technical reason to restrict IBIS to 7-bit codes?

Our in-house IBIS models can contain 8-bit characters - those generated
by a standard French keyboard - usually in comment fields, or under
[Source] and [Notes]. I hope that if BIRD53 is accepted, these
files will pass ibischk, with at worst, the accents being flagged
simply for information purposes.