IBIS Accuracy Subcommittee Minutes 6/18/98

From: Greg Edlund <Greg.Edlund@digital.com>
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 10:11:45 PDT

IBIS Accuracy Subcommittee Minutes

Thursday, June 18, 1998
Held at Stratus Computer, Marlborough, MA

Thanks to Bruce Heilbrunn and Stratus for providing a place to meet.

Attendees

Greg Edlund, Digital Equipment (chair)
Fawn Engelmann, EMC
Bob Haller, Digital Equipment
Bruce Heilbrunn, Stratus Computer
Peter LaFlamme, Fairchild Semiconductor
Harvey Stiegler, Texas Instruments (by phone)

Next meeting is Friday, August 28, 1998 from 3:00 to 5:00 pm, location
to be determined.

MILESTONES

The test board is awaiting clean-up routing and final review. Work
priorities have halted work on the test board for the past six weeks.
When the board has been debugged, we will post the Gerber files to the
web.

?? 1998: Post the IBIS Accuracy Test Board to the web
September 18, 1998: Distribute the first draft of the IBIS Accuracy
Specification
October 1998: PCB West Conference, IBIS Summit, and first IBIS Class
February 1999: Present the IBIS Accuracy Specification at DesignCon99

EDITING

1. Scope - no activity this meeting.

2. Required Measurements

The subcommittee decided that it does not make sense to specify which
unique I/O buffer designs must be measured and compared to simulations.
In cases where there is a large number of I/O buffer designs on a chip,
the task of deciding which to measure involves engineering judgment,
which is not something that we can specify. A perfect example of this
is a gate array which has over 100 cells in its I/O buffer library.
However, the modeling engineer must document which I/O buffer designs he
measured and which he did not.

3. Measurement Techniques

There are three types of measurements involved in the IBIS Accuracy
Specification: IV curves, transient waveforms, and capacitance. We
covered IV curves in this meeting. The two main topics of discussion
were 1) specifying voltage and current ranges and 2) when to worry about
line drop.

For parts with clamp diodes, the modeling engineer should sweep voltage
from -1 V to Vdd + 1 V to make sure the clamps turn on fully. The
overcurrent protection limit should be set at the absolute maximum I/O
current specification from the component datasheet.

We did not discuss whether parts without clamp diodes should have
different requirements. One could make a strong argument that they
should. Perhaps a good place to start would be to sweep the voltage
from -5 V to Vdd + 5 V, as specified by IBIS, with overcurrent
protection set to the absolute maximum I/O current specification. In
many cases, parts without clamps would certainly go into overcurrent
protection somewhere over this range.

We discussed the need for four-point probing. When line resistance from
the DUT to the instrument is high and current is high, the IR drop in
the line can introduce a significant error to the measurement. The
modeling engineer must compute this IR drop and use a four-point probe
when IR drop reaches a certain threshold whose value has not yet been
determined.

4. Metrics - no activity this meeting.

Greg Edlund, Principal Engineer
Server Product Development