V/I table rules not crystal clear

From: Matthew Flora <mbflora@hyperlynx.com>
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 02:07:37 PST

All,

I noticed that the Golden IBIS Parser will issue an error if, in any V/I
table, the MIN column contain values, but the first or last entry of the
column is NA. (The same is true of the MAX column.)

I hadn't remembered such a requirement, so I looked it up in the IBIS 3.1
specification. The specifications seems to be poorly worded on this subject.

Here is the relevant excerpt from the IBIS 3.1 description of the [Pulldown],
[Pullup], [GND Clamp], [POWER Clamp] keywords does not

     All four columns are required under these keywords. However,
     data is only required in the typical column. If minimum
     and/or maximum current values are not available, the reserved
     word "NA" must be used. "NA" can be used for currents in the
     typical column, but numeric values MUST be specified for the
     first and last voltage points on any V/I table. Each V/I
     table must have at least 2, but not more than 100, voltage
     points.

Note that in the following sentence, the subject is the typical column:

     "NA" can be used for currents in the typical column, but numeric
     values MUST be specified for the first and last voltage points
     on any V/I table.

So, my questions to the forum are:

1) What was the specification's intent here?
2) Does that intent match everyone's understanding of the rules?
3) Shall I draft a BIRD to change the wording so that this question won't
   arise again in the future?

Regards,
Matthew Flora
IBIS Open Forum Secretary
(425) 869-2320 PH
(425) 881-1008 FAX
mbflora@hyperlynx.com
HyperLynx, 17641 NE 67th Court, Redmond, WA 98052 USA