Re: standard loads on 66 MHz PCI

From: D. C. Sessions <dc.sessions@vlsi.com>
Date: Mon Nov 09 1998 - 12:01:02 PST

Muranyi, Arpad wrote:

> All,
>
> I guess it is not impossible to come up with a fix to the IBIS spec to
> accommodate the various reference loads the PCI spec uses. But, to answer
> someone's question, I have only seen this kind of multiple reference loads in
> the PCI spec. so far. And, sorry, but I have no idea why it was done that
> way.

It actually maps into the requirements. Min has to be guaranteed at light
load to avoid violating the zero hold time spec in the face of clock skew;
the light load is possible in onboard point-to-point connections.

The max is necessary to guarantee avoiding setup violation on a loaded bus.

> To further complicate things, think about this. There is a separate min and max
> reference (test) load. But what are you supposed to use if you want to run a
> typical simulation? This makes me suggest that we should look into how to fix
> the PCI spec...

Fixing the PCI spec would be nice, (the 5v tolerant section has always
been ugly) and the timing is right since Intel has announced its end-of-life.
Less flippantly, it's probably too late. The fool thing has a life of
its own now. To get an idea, see how many 3.3v PCI systems you can find,
and then read the intro to the electricals where Intel announced that PCI
is intended to be a 3.3v bus but 5v is supported only as a transisition
path...

--
D. C. Sessions
dc.sessions@vlsi.com