Re: Dual drive modeling

From: D. C. Sessions <dc.sessions@vlsi.com>
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 10:13:08 PDT

fabrizio zanella wrote:

> I was speaking to a semiconductor company yesterday which makes a new logic,
> AVC, which has dynamic output control (or dual drive). Strong drive is
> provided for 3/4 of the swing, then the output impedance is dynamically
> lowered

ITYM 'increased'

> during signal transition, which eliminates overshoot, undershoot.
> Does anyone know whether this type of driver can be modeled in IBIS v3.2?

VLSI used to have drivers like that. The SI engineers
(who? me?) finally killed them because there is no way
to make them stable in all applications.

Now *if* this is just a nonlinear V/I curve thing, that's
different. It's possible to make a driver that has a
positive second derivative of current vs. voltage; those
are stable and don't require anything special in IBIS.

--
D. C. Sessions
dc.sessions@vlsi.com