Re: BIRD #61 -- Characterization of Receivers

From: D. C. Sessions <dc.sessions@vlsi.com>
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 11:03:50 PDT

"C. Kumar" wrote:

> Simulators are not designed for slope evaluation. The calculated slope
> at any time can have substantial errors even though the overall
> voltage/current changes will be accurate.
>
> Tables which depend on slope are asking for trouble.

The problem is that the physical *inputs* are dependent on slope,
and system function (as in, "does it?") depends on the input timing.
We can't just tell ourselves, "slope is hard to deal with in simulaiton,
so we'll ignore its effects." Mostly because the kind of extreme
conservatism that let us do that in the past would eat all of our
timing budgets and leave nothing for minor details like output delay,
skew, flight, setup, and hold time.

Besides which, I think you're misunderstanding the intent of the tables.
They aren't intended to be used directly; like the VT curves they're
for simulator companies to use in building internal timing estimators
which adjust input timing (offsets only, please note) based on input
waveforms which bear no noticable resemblance to the pretty trapezoids
that we invent to convey characterization.

I suppose that this is a good time to mention that there is a companion
proposal that we discussed to define "golden input waveforms" which are
anything BUT pretty, accompanied by their consequent timing responses.
These will be almost certainly useless for building models, for comparison
to real-world waveforms, and almost everything else EXCEPT providing a
check for the simulator that its inferred timing model isn't too far off
from the manufacturer's characterization.

Watch This Space.