RE: IBIS Meeting 12/17/99

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 15:50:16 PST

I was supposed to write this a long time ago, but things are crazy
around here lately so I couldn't. Not that I have more time now,
but this is for the cause.

I noticed that most keywords have a description in the usage rules for
where they can appear in a model. However, a few do not mention anything.
It would be nice to consistently explain this for every single keyword.
The ones I couldn't find this description for are:
  [Begin/end_Cn_Model_List],
  [Begin/end_Cn_Model],
  [Row],
  [Diagonal_matrix],
  [Banded_matrix],
  [Sparce_matrix],
  [Bandwidth]

A keyword tree, or map would be a good aid in determining the hierarchical
ordering and dependencies of the keywords.

Also, since the words are usually capitalized in these keywords, the word
"matrix" should be also spelled with a capitol "M". The square brackets
"[" and "]" are missing from some of these keywords also.

In the units section it only goes from Tera to fempto. Since coupling
can be very small, we should extend this (at least) on the low side ("a" for
anno 1e-18, etc).

I wonder about the rules of required matrixes (L, C, and R). I understand
the
cases listed in the spec, but I wonder about unexpected usage. For example,
I was looking into using this spec for on-die interconnect descriptions. If
succeeded with that, I may need to provide an RC type interconnect, not LC.
According to the requirements of this spec this would not be possible.

Other than that, I think it is a very good spec. Thanks for all the work
that went into it.

Arpad