Re: IBIS Connector group status concerning ac losses

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@vasthorizons.com>
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 20:45:21 PST

Kellee,

It is in the area of extending the model for use with packages (which can be
quite lossy), cables (which do have significant losses), and pcboard traces
(as an extension to the current ebd non-lossless model) that some
sort of frequency dependent loss model is needed. The Hspice W-element
model with a frequency dependent dielectric and skin effect loss is generally
good to the 1 to 2 GHz range, within a small margin of error. Yes, there are
frequency dependent changes in L and C, however, they are quite small
in the frequency ranges where IBIS simulations are generally run.

AC losses are a significant factor in real systems with sub-400ps edge rates,
and high frequencies. I see these effects in source synchronous bus simulations
in the 200 to 400MHz range, where the edge rate harmonics approach 1.5 to
2 GHz. They significantly effect noise margins and timing of high speed signals,
and
definitely effect the eye patterns of fiber channel and gigabit ethernet signals.

I would suggest that the committee take the lead and define an extensible method
of describing ac losses. One that could be enhanced by different methods of
modeling
in the future. For example, using the current matrix models that you have for
lossless transmission line sections, you could easily extend this to an RLGC
matrix
with an Rs, which is the frequency dependent skin effect resistance, and Gd, which

is the frequency dependent dielectric loss. Other, possibly more advanced,
modeling
types could be included in the standard in the future.

I agree that, in general, ac losses are insignificant for most connectors.
However, if
we are creating a coupled matrix template to be used in other areas, as I have
suggested above, then it makes sense to consider inclusion of frequency dependent
losses in this standard. Otherwise, it will be years before the chance will occur
again.

If we think of this as a way to enhance ebd and package modeling, then I believe
adding ac losses to the coupled matrix descriptions makes undeniable sense.

If you don't beleive, then try to correlate a 400MHz memory bus simulation to
measurements using an IBIS simulator with currentebd models of the RIMM modules.
It can't be done.

Regards,

Scott