Re: Using Ibis models in hspice

From: Bob Ross <bob_ross@mentorg.com>
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 18:55:25 PST

To Steve Johnson, Kellee, and Steve Monroe and All:

Spice implementations of IBIS is a topic of general interest. It has been
discussed at meetings and briefly on the IBIS reflectors. Also, several
comparison studies with Spice simulations have been discussed at
meetings.

Vendor specific issues such as HSPICE offerings should be discussed
on the Signal Integrity reflector (where the message was also sent)
or with the vendor directly.

The question related directly to HSPICE, which is one vendor's
commercial implementation of Spice. As a general policy, the
IBIS reflectors avoid vendor-specific discussions because of
EIA guidelines.

However, I believe that implementations of IBIS in Spice using
behavioral constructs that are commonly available in several Spices
is an appropriate topic for ibis-users@eda.org reflector. The
formats for tables seem to be unique for different commercial
versions of Spice, so the discussion may have to use one vendor's
Spice for illustration. However, since the tables can be
translated or made equivalent in other versions of Spice,
I feel the substance of the discussion is sufficiently generic.

I refer to the following documents which are archived for further
reference on this issue of behavioral implementation of IBIS
in Spice.

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/summits/feb98/unger.zip

and the IBIS email reflector archives of October 1997 which
shows a prototype implementation.

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/email/email97/email.oct97

Best Regards,
Bob Ross