Re: BIRD61 - Input Model

From: Bob Ross <bob_ross@mentorg.com>
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 10:44:18 PDT

Fred:

You raise some good points and have offered an alternative.

Working directly with tables is the only approach I know so far.
As you indicate, table lookup method has its potential problems
for arbitrary inputs.

While different input modeling approaches might be implemented
(and defended) by different vendors, we are seeking at least
one approach that is defendable. Without knowing any approach,
we do not know what minimum set of data is necessary.

You indicate that simulation model can be developed that would
respond to arbitrary inputs. The set of data for this is the
set of Vout(t) tables for a range of Input ramps with different
slopes. Can you indicate the minimal set of data needed to
implement this approach?

  How many Vout(t) tables do you need? Will minimum and maximum
  slope tables be sufficient?

  Do you need a range of Vout(t) tables with different Start_point and
  End_point values to capture overdrive/underdrive effects?
  What is this set?

Also I have some general question on Input models:

  Do we need Vout(t) to be extracted under defined load conditions?

  Does a Vmeas need to be specified as the point at which the delay
    is measured? If Vmeas is internal, does it need to be given?

  Since the Input model transfer may be impacted by overdrive/underdrive
    conditions, does the input timing reference point for arbitrary
    input slopes or waveforms need to be specified as Vth defined
    elsewhere?

Bob