Re: Connector spec swathing

From: Mike LaBonte <mikelabonte@cadence.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 07:38:08 PDT

I would like to add an illustration of Chris Reid's point, as I see it.
Here is an ASCII picture of a connector. The pins marked as 'X'
are those carrying the signals that the simulation product has
determined MUST be characterized and simulated. The '0' pins are
the other pins of the connector:

0 0 0 0 0 X O 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
 0 0 0 0 X 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 X 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 X 0 0 0 0 0 0

Assume that the connector model uses a 3x3 swath with 1 left edge
and 1 right edge (5x3 total matrix size). Here is one possible
pattern for using the swath, where 'M' represents matrix middle pins,
and 'E' represents pins in an edge column, which must be terminated
by Cn_Z. The '?' pins are those that could be either an edge or a
middle, depending on which nearby swath it is considered to be "in":

0 0 E M M X E 0 0 0 E M M ? ? M M E 0 0 0 0
 0 0 E M X M E 0 0 0 E M X ? ? M M E 0 0 0
0 0 E M M M E 0 0 0 E M M ? ? X M E 0 0 0 0

There is no single swath that can contain the 2 pins on the right.
But 2 swaths, each centered around one pin, will overlap. Most likely
the simulator will have to make some choice that does not fulfill the
intent of the model developer. Even the 2 pins on the left have some
ambiguity; I chose the pin in the middle row as my center point, but
the choice is not always obvious.

On the subject of centering a swath around a pin, a swath with an even
number of columns has four possible locations, giving four possible
simulation results, depending on which is chosen. This is because the
swath has no pin at the center, but has 4 pins equally close to the center.

Since simulators have to handle a full matrix anyway, I would have to
join Chris Rokusek in hoping for a solution that turns a connector model
into a full matrix.

Mike LaBonte
Cadence