Re[2]: Connector spec swathing

From: <apanella@molex.com>
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 04:37:10 PDT

Fred,

I am sure that if you have this question, so do others... as such I have
prepared a fairly lengthy reply.

The "basic" answer to the question is...

Find a FIELD simulator that can generate a 100 pin connector model from a
connector with a general current path length of around 2.5cm.

Make sure it is a true 3D simulator.

OK... now find one that can do such using less than 8GB of RAM and 4 xxxx GHz.
processors
  - This is pretty much what one might call a high end PC/Workstation. Maybe
even not "typical" hardware.

OK... Using what has been found above... have the problem solve in the FIELD
simulator in less than a week. (BTW, a week is solve time, it does not include
reports, empirical confirmation, or support documentation)

OK... now put that full matrix model that is generated into a circuit
simulator.... Setup the rest of the problem.... go away for the weekend...
comeback Monday.... still not done... Comeback Wednesday... Ooopps found out
that a termination resistor was misplaced... restart the simulation.

The point is... connector companies would be perfectly happy with smaller
models...

But from what I have been told my customers which are the same as many SI
simulators NEED to be able to model 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 5000 pins... (Yes,
these are all real connector sizes today).

As a work around for this problem.... we suggest the preverbal "critical net
analysis". Which will still take 8 hours to solve using something in the order
of a 40 pin connector model.

Also, I as a connector manufacture make parts with different circuit sizes...
sometime from 10 to 1000 in 10 pin increments... OK... there we have 100
models... Lets say we just go up to 100 pins... that is 10 models... at 3 days
AVERAGE per model (smaller models take less time)... that means one month of
FIELD SIMULATION time... and we STILL can not support any thing over 100 pins.

 Not to mention that connector companies have about 40,000 different product
lines.. lets say conservatively that only 1% of the 40,000 require models...
That's 400.... a conservative estimate would be that there are 10 circuit sizes
for each of those 400 connectors... as such 4,000 different models. OF EACH
Type. There are three basic types Single Line models, MultiLine Models, and
Cascaded Models... then there are TWO VERSIONS of each type... distributed and
lumped... grand total 24,000 SPECIFIC models.

But wait, Now model makers and simulators also have to database and revision
control the models.

Point being... an auto swath will give end uses access to more models with more
pin options than they ever had before (to answer the customers requests). And
GREATLY reduce the redundancies such that the 24,000 models above can be done in
1 model per connector family.. or 400 files.

_gus: 630-527-4617