RE: Re[2]: Connector spec swathing

From: Mikhail Khusid <Mikhail_Khusid@notes.teradyne.com>
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 11:28:49 PDT

Chris,

Whether a connector company can make a full matrix model of a connector
depends more on the connector than the tools. In fact, if a connector is
complicated enough to warrant several L and C sections, and if a connector
has many pins, providing a full matrix model can be very unpractical.

As a representative of the connector company where a 570 pin connector
is considered a small one, I can assure you that it's impossible for me
to generate dozens of 570x570 matrices. Furthermore, I doubt that any
simulator will be able to solve a problem with full matrices of that size.
Doing a swath method allows me to generate reasonable size matrices,
up to 30x30, which should respresent sufficient couplings inside
the connector, and thus is an effective way to simulate the connector
behavior in reasonable time.

Lastly, I agree with Kellee that a standard should probably include
a description of a "golden" way to generate a full matrix model out of a swath,
however, I would welcome simulator companies attempts to avoid using
this method for every connector.

Michael Khusid
Teradyne Connection Systems
http://www.teradyne.com

"Chris Rokusek" <crokusek@innoveda.com> on 06/15/2000 12:27:55 PM

cc: (bcc: Mikhail Khusid/NNH/Teradyne)
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Connector spec swathing

Gus,

Given that some companies actually do possess the tools to create Full
Matrix connectors (& packages) accurately and efficiently and given that
simulators MUST come up with algorithms to reduce this full matrix (perhaps
efficiently with an accuracy tradeoff), simulator companies are just trying
to avoid extra work in having to write two algorithms that do very similar
things--one to expand the swath to arbitrary pins and one to reduce the full
matrix to arbitrary pins. Many of us prefer to solve the most
general/accurate problem first (Full Matrix).

I don't think we're saying "don't use the swath", I think all we're saying
is provide us with a recommended algorithm (and perhaps build it into the
parser) for expanding the swath into a full matrix so that each simulator
can potentially get the same answer for the most general case. It seems
like that would keep everybody happy.

Chris Rokusek
Innoveda