Re[2]: Connector spec swathing

From: <apanella@molex.com>
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 05:30:09 PDT

The swath... allows automatic building of a "banded" matrix from a smaller
matrix.

The goal of the keywords around the swath are present such that the person that
creates the model can give enough information to a simulator to build the banded
matrix from the smaller matrix.

How does the swath help...???

* Let's say I manufacture a connector line that has 50, 100, 500, 750, 1000
pins in a "5 by X" PHYSICAL configuration. I now need to have 5 models to
support this connector line. Instead... with a SWATH, I can create a 50 pin
model... then all the other variations can be derived from that model. This is
done by using the smallest (50 pin, 5 x 10) matrix to generate a bigger matrix.

In this example.... The benefits are as follows
*** 1 file instead of five
*** The single file only needs about 10 extra lines to cover the 5 combinations
*** The single file could just as easily cover 100 combinations (or 100 models)

~~~AN example to show the benefits..
Considering there is somewhere between 10 to 50 connector sizes per connector
family and there are at least 100 Connector families per connector company, You
might also see how the model database may be easier to manage and update.

Original case:
10 to 50 models per family x 100 Connector families

yields 1000 to 5000 model files x Lets just say 5 connector companies (we
know that there are at least 500 Connector companies out there)

yields 5000 to 25000 separate models

OK... NOW.. Same example... but SWATHED..

10 to 50 models per family x 100 Connector families

yields 10 to 50 model files x Lets just say 5 connector companies (we know
that there are at least 500 Connector companies out there)

yields 50 to 250 separate models.

Assuming that a banded matrix is correct, I know which option I would rather
work with....
** as a SIMULATOR company (SI Simulation, SPICE or non-SPICE)
** or as a MODEL MAKER (Connector Company)
** or as a MODEL USER (the person who uses the SI Tool and the Connector company
models)....

The Drawbacks
The draw back to simulators... they need to bang out some code that creates a
matrix from a small matrix as limited by the keywords. From what I have been
told, this is not very difficult

The draw back to Connector companies.
We need to make sure we appropriately use the supplied swath keywords

The drawback to Connector Company Customers and Simulator Company Customers...
?????

_gus: 630-527-4617