Bird 62.5 -- Enhanced Specification of Receiver Thresholds

From: Peters, Stephen <stephen.peters@intel.com>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 16:48:12 PST

Hello All:

    Below is a revised version of Bird 62. This version will be
voted on at the next IBIS teleconference. The major change
from Bird 62.4 is the breaking the Input_edge_rate subparameter
into two seperate subparameters, one for single ended, the other for
differential receivers. In addition, there where a few typo corrections.
Please review, and let me know soon of any other issues.

   Regards,
   Stephen Peters
   Intel Corp.

                  Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)

 BIRD ID#: 62.5
 ISSUE TITLE: Enhanced Specification of Receiver Thresholds
 REQUESTER: DC Sessions (Philips), Stephen Peters, Richard Mellitz,
                Arpad Muranyi (Intel Corp).
 DATE SUBMITTED: Aug 24, 1999, Dec 28, 1999, Jan 6, 2000, Feb 18, 2000,
                  Feb 25, 2000, Mar 3, 2000
 DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:

 STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE: When specifying receiver input thresholds the
 current specification allows only the traditional DC derived Vinh and Vinl
 parameters. These two parameters are no longer adequate for describing
 receivers used for high speed designs. This BIRD proposes four new input
 switching threshold parameters: Vinh_ac, Vinh_dc, Vinl_ac, Vinl_dc. These
 parameters are referenced to an reference point Vth, and this reference is
 allowed to vary with variations in a supply. This bird also provides for
 specifying differential receivers and minimum edge rates.

 STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

 1) The following new keyword is defined and placed in the specification
 just below the [Model Spec] keyword.

|=======================================================
> [...]
| change in input threshold. The legal arguments to this
| subparameter are as follows:
| Power_clamp_ref (the supply voltage defined by the
| [POWER Clamp Reference] keyword)
| Gnd_clamp_ref (the supply voltage defined by the
| [GND Clamp Reference] keyword)
| Pullup_ref (the supply voltage defined by the
| [Pullup reference] keyword)
| Pulldown_ref (the supply voltage defined by the
| [Pulldown reference] keyword)
| Ext_ref (the supply voltage defined by the
| [External Reference] keyword)
|

| Input_edge_rate_ser documents the minimum edge rate
| condition under which a single ended receivers' input
| setup and hold timings are valid. Note that minimum
| edge rate correspondes to the maximum transistion time.
| The input signals edge rate is calculated as shown below:
|
| Vinh_ac - Vinl_ac
| Input_edge_rate_ser = ------------------------------------------------
| time in transition between the above two voltages.
|
| Input_edge_rate_ser must be entered as an unreduced
| fraction with the numerator representing the actual deltaV
| and the denominator representing the actual deltaT.
|

| Input_edge_rate_ser documents the minimum edge rate
| condition under which a differential receivers' input
| setup and hold timings are valid. Note that minimum
| edge rate correspondes to the maximum transistion time.
| The input signals edge rate is calculated as shown below:
|
| Vdiff_ac
| Input_edge_rate_der = ------------------------------------------------
| time in transition across the above voltage
|

| Input_edge_rate_der must be entered as an unreduced
fraction,
| with the numerator representing the actual deltaV and the
| denominator representing the actual deltaT.
|
| Vcross_low is the least positive voltage at which a
| differential receivers' input signals may cross while
| switching and still allow the receiver to meet its timing
| and functional specifications. Vcross_low is specified
| with respect to 0V.
|
| Vcross_high is the most positive voltage at which a
| differential receivers' input signals may cross while
| switching and still allow the receiver to meet its timing
| and functional specifications. Vcross_high is specified
| with respect to 0V.
|
| Vdiff_dc is the minimum voltage difference between the
| inputs of a differential receiver that guarantees the
| receiver will not change state.
|
| Vdiff_ac is the minimum voltage difference between the
| inputs of a differential receiver that guarantees the
| receiver will change state.
|

| Usage Rules: The [Receiver Thresholds] keyword is valid if the model type
| includes any reference to input or I/O. For single ended
| receivers the Vinh_ac, Vinh_dc, Vinl_ac, Vinh_dc, Vth and
| Input_edge_rate_ser subparameters are required and override
| the Vinh, Vinl, Vinh+/- and Vinl+/- subparameters declared
| under the [Model] or [Model Spec] keywords. For single
ended
| receivers the Vth_min, Vth_max, Threshold_sensitivity and
| Reference_supply subparameters are optional. However, if
| the Threshold_sensitivity subparameter is present then the
| Reference_supply subparameter must also be present.
|
| For differential receivers (i.e. the [Receiver Thresholds]
| keyword is part of a [Model] statement that describes a pin
| listed in the [Diff Pin] keyword) then the Vcross_low,
| Vcross_high, Vdiff_ac, Vdiff_dc and Input_edge_rate_der
| subparameters are required. The rest of the subparameters
| are not applicable. The Vdiff_ac and Vdiff_dc values
| override the value of the Vdiff subparameter specified by
| the [Diff Pin] keyword. Note that Vcross_low and
| Vcross_high are valid over the device's minimum and maximum
| operating conditions.
|
| Subparameter Usage Rules:
| Numerical arguments are separated from their associated
| subparameter by an equals sign (=); white space around the
| equals sign is optional. The argument to the
| Reference_supply subparameter is separated from the
| subparameter by white space.
|
| Vth at Minimum or Maximum Operating Conditions:
| As described above, the Vth_min and Vth_max subparameters
| define the minimum and maximum input threshold values under
| typical operating conditions. There is no provision for
| directly specifying Vth under minimum or maximum operating
| conditions. Instead, these values are calculated using
| the following equation:
|
| Vth(min/max) = Vth* + [(Threshold_sensitivity) X
| (change in supply voltage)]
|
| where Vth* is either Vth, Vth_min or Vth_max as appropriate,
| and the supply voltage is the one indicated by the
| Reference_Supply subparameter.
|

| Examples:
|
| A basic 3.3v single ended receiver using only the required
| subparameters

Vth = 1.5V
Vinh_ac = +225mV
Vinh_dc = +100mV
Vinl_ac = -225mV
Vinl_dc = -100mV
Input_edge_rate_ser = 450mV/1.5ns

| A single ended receiver using an external threshold reference. In this
| case the input threshold is the external reference voltage so
| Threshold_sensitivity equals 1.

Vth = 1.0V
Threshold_sensitivity = 1
Reference_Supply Ext_ref
Vinh_ac = +200mV
Vinh_dc = +100mV
Vinl_ac = -200mV
Vinl_dc = -100mV
Input_edge_rate_ser = 400mV/0.4ns

| A fully specified single ended 3.3v CMOS receiver

Vth = 1.5V
Vth_min = 1.45V
Vth_max = 1.53V
Threshold_sensitivity = 0.45
Reference_supply Power_clamp_ref
Vinh_ac = +200mV
Vinh_dc = +100mV
Vinl_ac = -200mV
Vinl_dc = -100mV
Input_edge_rate_ser = 400mV/0.4ns

| A differential receiver

Vcross_low = 0.65V
Vcross_high = 0.90V
Vdiff_ac = +200mV
Vdiff_dc = +100mV
Input_edge_rate_der = 200mV/0.5ns

2) The following new keyword is defined and place in the specification
following the [GND Clamp Reference] keyword
|=======================================================

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| variable typ min max
[External Reference] 1.0v 0.95v 1.05v

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION: This proposal follows the
recommendations of the JC-15 committee for specifying SDRAM inputs.

Update for 62.1:
  Specified exactly which [Model] and [Model Spec] parameters are
overridden by [Receiver Threshold] and changed the wording of the
"Differential Receivers:" to indicate that the numerical
value of Vth is *typically* assigned a value of 0v rather than
*must* be assigned a value of zero.

Update for 62.2
  Under Usage Rules: added the section (Subparameter Usage Rules:)
describing the syntax rules for separating arguments from subparameters.
Updated examples with this change.

Update for 62.3
  The subparameter Input_Ref_Supply was renamed to Reference_supply
(this is to be consistent with other subparameter names). The
list of arguments to the Reference_supply subparameter was expanded
and clarified. A note was added to the [External Reference]
keyword clarifying which values go in the min and max columns of this
keyword. Finally, four new subparameters that describe differential
receivers were added.

Update for 62.4
  Renamed Vth_sensitivity to Threshold_sensitivity. Remaned the
voltage cross parameters to Vcross_low and Vcross_high. Added the
Input_edge_rate subparameter from Bird 63.3. Input_edge_rate now
follows the precise JEDEC definition. Finally, removed the section
that made the arguments to the Reference_supply subparameter reserved
words. They are simply enumerated arguments with a defined value,
not reserved words with special meanings.

Update for 62.5
  Broke the Input_edge_rate subparameter into one for single ended and
one for differential receivers. Removed the clause regarding Vcross_low
and Vcross_high tracking the min/max corners. Corrected a few typos.

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION: This BIRD is a direct result of a
request by the JEDEC JC-16 committee to the IBIS Open Forum to provide
better specification of receivers. The basic form of this bird was
discussed at a meeting in July 1999 between DC Sessions of Phillips Corp.
and Stephen Peters, Richard Mellitz and Arpad Muranyi of Intel Corp.