Re: Bus Clamp vs Dynamic Clamp

From: Bob Ross <bob_ross@mentorg.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 12:52:36 PST

Greg:

I have some brief responses are in your text.

Bob Ross
Mentor Graphics

gedlund@us.ibm.com wrote:

> As long as we're on the subject, what determines the current-voltage
> behavior of a dynamic clamp in triggered mode once it's on? Is the [GND
> Clamp] keyword defined under the [Submodel] intended to supply the IV
> characteristics of the ground dynamic clamp?

Yes? This supplies the characteristics of a clamp portion that may be
shifted in time.

> And the [GND Pulse Table] is
> supposed to supply a voltage offset to the [GND Clamp] table for each point
> in time that the clamp is on?

Yes

> So if I'm a simulator and I notice that Vpin
> has tripped V_trigger_f, I calculate Vpin-Vpulse and dump the current that
> I find at the corresponding entry in [GND Clamp]?

I do not understand this question.

> Sounds like some stuff I can't measure directly from the pin, right?

You can measure the combined effects, but you may not have information
from measurement that can decompose the effects into the mainline
and submodel elements. This along with some other keywords are to
provide models by construction to emulate some known effects that
might be extracted or known by decomposing a buffer circuit.