RE: Stupid question

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi@intel.com>
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 15:52:49 PDT

Bob,

It seems that we are talking about nuances here which do not effect
the outcome of the simulations. The simulation tool can take the
I/O model and use it only in receive mode giving you the same results
as if you would have converted the I/O to an Input or Output only model.

The only benefit in doing the conversion is that you might prevent
having to answer "stupid" questions from your customers who may notice
that you provided an I/O model for a pin that is called an input.
From that point of view, I would do "A" below.

Option "B" doesn't seem to be more beneficial than "A", because you would
still have to make three versions of the buffer from the original I/O model.
The model selector cannot modify the buffer type of a [Model], i.e. tell
the simulator that an I/O should be used as an input or output, it just
simply picks a [Model] from a list and associates it with a particular pin.
In fact, the usage of the model selector could confuse your customers
because it really means that a given pin can have multiple buffer types
according to what is listed in the selector. Your case seems to have a
fixed buffer type on a given pin.

Option "C" doesn't exist in IBIS.

So I see two options for you, either go with "A" or just list I/O types
for each buffer, and explain in the comments that such and such a buffer
is only supposed be used as input or output.

I hope this helps,

Arpad