Re: IBIS BUG41 Arguments

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@vasthorizons.com>
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 18:36:50 PDT

Bob,

Having had some very recent experience with simulating and
measuring Vref noise and it's effect on timing, I will give my
input.

1) If this application of differential inputs is intended to
"trick" an IBIS simulator into allowing a variable input threshold
without modifying the IBIS model, then I believe this would be
a reasonable application. In this case, Vref truly acts like
a static voltage.

2) If this application is intended to account for noise effects
on input timing, I would suggest that this will not be very
accurate at all. For the following reasons:

    a) Vref has a propensity to pick up noise from the power
and ground planes in the GHz region from minor plane
resonances that occur. These effects will not be modeled
in any reasonable time by any known simulator.

    b) Vref inputs on devices are extremely complex and are
generally not direct connections to the receiver differential
amplifiers. Among manufacturers of devices there are various
methods of filtering Vref on the die to exclude external and
internally generated noise. We mortals will most likely never
have access to the actual on-chip vref circuits decks. These
are the "secret sauce" that makes a particular device out perform
the other competition.

    c) Vref is subject to displacement currents originating from
the input transistors of the receiving device. Internal parasitic
gate capacitance can cause some significant currents.
(See b) above.)

Thus, my feed back to the IBIS committee is that I would not
be opposed to modifying the parser to generate a warning
when a pin is mapped to multiple differential inputs, however
I would make this a VERY STRONG warning indeed. What is
actually simulated will not be close to the real circuit at all, if one
is concerned with the AC transient response of the entire
system of Vref and single ended inputs. Although I must say
it is a nice "trick" to easily generate a variable switching
threshold.

best regards,

scott

--