Re: Question regarding c_comp

From: <gedlund@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 15:11:46 PDT

Dave,

C_comp represents all on-chip capacitance and needs to be set to the value
that correctly represents your FETs, ESD devices, and bond pad. The IV
curve part of the model data does not contain any capacitance information,
so you won't be double counting. If you are using s2ibis2, there is a
parameter in the control file that sets C_comp. You should use min, typ,
and max values. I think the best way to get the correct value is to ask
your SPICE program to print the appropriate device capacitance values and
tally them up. I always check C_comp by running behavioral and HSPICE
simulations with 1 ns open-ended transmission line on the output of the
driver. Let the wave slosh back and forth a few times and you'll see if
you got the capacitance right. (Thanks to Ross Pryor for this technique.)

There is a better list for user-related questions: ibis-users@vhdl.org.
The list you posted to tends more toward development-related topics. If
you want more information about making IBIS datasheets, check out the
cookbook under "free tools" or the accuracy handbook under "accuracy" on
the IBIS web site.

Good luck.

Greg Edlund
Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
IBM
3605 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
gedlund@us.ibm.com