Comments on IBIS BIRD64.3 - Alternate Package Models

From: Bob Ross <bob_ross@mentorg.com>
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 15:53:55 PST

To All:

I had some comments for Mike LaBonte, but we decided to carry on the
discussion on the IBIS reflector for more input.

1. The content of [Alternate Package Models] .. [End Alternate Package
Models] are all the ADDITIONAL package models. The default package
model is still called by the [Package Model] keyword.

  (a) What happens if [Package Model] is not defined?

      Error?
      Different default (e.g., the [Pin] or [Package] entries?
      The first entry of [Alternate Package Models] is the default?

  (b) Can the [Package Model] selection be listed in the [Alternate Package
Models]
      list? (This might occur when editing a different default.)

      Yes
      No, Error
      Yes, Warning

2. My preference would be to change the keyword to [Package Model Options] or
something else (but changed from [Package Model Selector] to avoid confusion
with some different rules for [Model Selector] and make it function independent
from any other keyword. It would have the highest priority. Similar to [Model
Selector]
the default would always be the first entry in the list.

(a) Would this structure be better for EDA tools that might want to create a GUI
(the list is in one keyword, not two keyword)?

(a) Similarly, is this better for scripting (the language may reference the
contents
of one keyword, not two keywords?

3. Are there any better names than [Alternate Package Model]?

Bob