Re: Model name question

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@vasthorizons.com>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 15:28:03 PDT

Arpad,

I believe many simulator vendors already identify models
internally by the following tuple:

(component_name, model_name)

I would recommend formalizing this in future IBIS specifications.
We need not specify the exact format of the naming convention,
but we do need to clarify that a model should be identified by
component_name and model_name, since model_names are
not unique.

If we were all real sticklers, we would require tools to identify
a model by the following tuple:

(component_name, model_name, revision)

Many a time I have been bit by multiple revisions of models laying
around ... especially with automatic path searches of model directories,
where the last model loaded is the one that is used.

regards,

scott

"Muranyi, Arpad" wrote:

> All,
>
> I would like to find out whether there is a need to include the
> component name as part of the buffer names for the [Model]
> keyword in an IBIS file. The reasoning goes like this:
>
> If there are two different IBIS files with buffer names inside
> them which are the same (while the electrical characteristics
> of the models are different) and these two models are used in
> the same simulation, could the tool lose track of which one is
> which?
>
> Do tools make these names unique for simulations to prevent
> this from happening so that me as a model maker wouldn't have
> to worry about this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arpad

Scott McMorrow