Re: Model name question

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@vasthorizons.com>
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 17:33:46 PDT

Matthew,

I believe you misunderstood me.
Let me quote myself:

> We need not specify the exact format of the naming convention,
> but we do need to clarify that a model should be identified by
> component_name and model_name, since model_names are
> not unique.

I do not suggest any particular naming and/or scoping convention
for IBIS models. I do suggest that it be required that some sort
of convention is used and defined by each vendor, so that
name space and revision problems are eliminated. I suggest that
IBIS specifications require that models be tracked in a way that
naming conficts cannot occur and revision control can be facilitated.

You have just suggested a further clarification to the model naming
problem (i.e. manufacturer). I believe the following will uniquely
identify an IBIS model in most all cases:
(manufacturer, component_name, model_name, revision)

My experience is that what is not specified is what breaks designs.
I would much rather err on the specification side after 22 years of
design work. I've used way too many components and software which
use assumptions which are ill-defined, are unpublished to protect the
guility, or are in opposition to common sense.

It's time to dispel the assumption that component designers and
software vendors will do the right thing.

regards,

scott