RE: Junk mail?

From: Peters, Stephen <stephen.peters@intel.com>
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 12:21:29 PDT

Hi Chris, All:

  I've been receiving the occasional spam for the past year or two now
(including the #AD6 one you mention), and like you I suspect someone has
harvested my address off of the IBIS list. As far as volume, it's been
pretty light -- maybe one group of spam posts a month -- but then again I
live behind a pretty sophisticated firewall that detects/blocks spam and
virus. (Also, if one does make it thru I report it.)

  As far as your question goes, I believe anyone can send a message to the
list without being a member (witness the 'subscribe' messages sent to
ibis@eda.org). Setting up a system that forces folks to subscribe before
posting, and then check all posting for a legit subscription address would
help discourage random spamming, and I will work with John Angulo (IBIS
postmaster) to see what is possible with our current mail setup.
Unfortunately, I don't know of a foolproof way to protect the list or the
users on it. The best defense is consistently reporting UCE/spam to the
originating ISP thereby getting the spammer's account pulled, but tracking
'em down can be time consuming. Any volunters?

  Hope this helps.

   Regards,
   Stephen Peters
   Intel Corp.