Re: about the IBIS "checklist.txt."

Subject: Re: about the IBIS "checklist.txt."
From: Gregory R Edlund (gedlund@us.ibm.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 06:50:11 PDT

Dear LiuWeidong,

Please see my answers below your questions. I hope this helps you.

Greg Edlund
Electrical Packaging
IBM Server Technology Development
3605 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
Rochester, MN 55901
gedlund@us.ibm.com

"LiuWeidong" <liuweidong@huawei.com> on 07/23/2001 08:38:09 PM

To: Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
cc: <ibis-users@eda.org>, <ibis@eda.org>
Subject: about the IBIS "checklist.txt."

Hello, Greg
I have some questions about your IBIS Datasheet Checklist :

"3. Has the modeling engineer performed a visual inspection of IV and VT
curves to screen for non-monotonicity, discontinuities, and other obvious
errors?"
If a IV curves is non-monotonicity,How can I deal with it ? Can the model
be used by the simulation tools?
There are so many IBIS models provided by IC venders whose IV curves is
non-monotonicity .

[GREG] Non-monotonicity can be OK in some circumstances. Page 20 of the
IBIS Cookbook shows an example of a pull-down curve that becomes
non-monotonic after you subtract out the ground clamp current (I believe
this is a numerical effect). Once you add the two curves back together,
the composite becomes monotonic again, so this is OK. In other
circumstances non-monotonicity may be indicative of a circuit feature such
as bus hold, which uses a feedback circuit. This can make the simulator
fail, so I usually smooth out the non-monotonicity in the IV curve of a
circuit that has bus hold. The point is that you need to know what's
causing the non-monotonicity. Your IBIS vendor should do this for you.

"8. Does the output reach Vmeas under standard load conditions for rising
and falling waveforms?"
For this item , I don't think it should be in the IBIS Datasheet Checklist
, Whether the output can reach Vmeas under standard load conditions for
rising and falling waveforms mainly depend on the output buffer's driving
capability . If a buffer's driving capability is very weak, the output
maybe can't reach Vmeas under standard load conditions for rising and
falling waveforms,but you can't think the IBIS model is wrong.

[GREG] Vmeas comes from the component datasheet, and so the output better
be able to drive it's own standard load. If it can't, there's something
seriously wrong with the circuit design. If the behavioral simulations
using the IBIS file don't reach Vmeas with the standard load but the real
component DOES, then something went wrong during the creation of the IBIS
file.

Hope for your reply!
Thanks!
LiuWeidong