Re: Clock limitations on IBIS simulation.

Subject: Re: Clock limitations on IBIS simulation.
From: Scott McMorrow (scott@vasthorizons.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 08:26:58 PST

Dan,

the simple answer to your question is:

If the power/ground and return path simulations are significant to
the performance of the system, then IBIS simulation will not
provide the correct results.

For the DDR case, on many devices up to 72 SSTL-2 I/O cells
can switch simultaneously within a package. It is currently not
possible for any IBIS simulation to correctly assess the effects
of SSO and return path discontinuities.

We use SPICE simulation for all of our DDR channel work. And
have correlated our pseudo random bit pattern eye simulations to
lab measurements.

regards,

scott

--