Re: [IBIS] Open Source IBIS Parser

Subject: Re: [IBIS] Open Source IBIS Parser
From: Kim Helliwell (kimgh@apple.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 09:43:51 PDT

I think I can answer the following:

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 06:03 PM, Ross, Bob wrote:

> What puzzles me is that there has been a compelling need for s2ibis2
> improvements and s2ibis3 development. A requirements document exists.
> Even public baseline code exists. This is needed to address Quality
> model issues at the source. This source code is freely available. So
> why does not an open-source community exist for s2ibis improvements?
>
> Bob Ross
> Mentor Graphics

I think for an open source project to be viable, there
has to be a gatekeeper and a group of committers
that accept fixes.

If I did make a fix to s2ibis2, where would I send it
to get it into the "official" version? I just visited
the University of South Carolina website for the code,
and although no dates are given, the fact that s2ibis2
still only supports IBIS 2.1 suggests that it's been a while
since there has been any University interest in this
project.

In fact, on Mentor's own website are some updates
to s2ibis2: a port to Linux contributed by Cisco, and
a fix or two contributed by others. So I don't think
you can claim there is no OS interest in s2ibis2. I
think that if there were a perception that there was
an active gatekeeper, perhaps several other fixes
would be submitted as well.

Kim Helliwell
Apple Computer
kimgh@apple.com