[IBIS] IBIS minutes (6/28/02)

Subject: [IBIS] IBIS minutes (6/28/02)
From: Guy deBurgh (gdeburgh@innoveda.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 06:52:35 PDT

DATE: 7/2/02

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2002 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Ansoft Corporation (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer Kim Helliwell
Applied Simulation Technology Fred Balistreri, Norio Matsui
Cadence Design Lynne Green, Patrick dos Santos, Lance Wang*
Cisco Systems Syed Huq, Abdulrahmun Rafiq, Zhiping Yang
Cypress Semiconductor (Rajesh Manapat)
IBM Greg Edlund Pravin Patel
Innoveda (Merged with Mentor John Angulo*, Guy de Burgh*, Steve Gascoigne
  Graphics
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Will Hobbs,
                               Pete Block, Ben Silva, Tony Lewis,
                               Michael Mirmak
LSI Logic [Larry Barnes], Frank Gasparik
Matsushita (Panasonic) Atsuji Ito
Mentor Graphics Bob Ross, Ian Dodd*, Mike Donnelly,
                               Matt Hogan, Sherif Hammad, Tom Dagostino,
                               Eric Rongere, Karine Loudet
Micron Technology Randy Wolff*
Mitsubishi Pat Hefferan
Molex Incorporated Gus Panella
Motorola Rick Kingen
National Semiconductor Milt Schwartz
NEC Corporation (Akimoto Tetsuya)
North East Systems Associates (Edward Sayre)
Philips Semiconductor (D.C. Sessions)
Quantic EMC (Mike Ventham)
Siemens (& Automotive) AG Helmut Katzier, Katja Koller, Eckhard Lenski
Signal Integrity Software Barry Katz, Walter Katz, Robert Moles,
                               Daniel Nilsson, Kevin Fisher, Steve Coe,
                               Wiley Gillmor, Douglas Burns, Eric Brock,
Sigrity Raj Raghuram
SiQual [Scott McMorrow], Dave Macemon, Rob Hinz
Texas Instruments Thomas Fisher, Jean-Claude Perrin
Time Domain Analysis Systems Steve Corey, Dima Smolyansky
Via Technologies (Weber Chuang)
Zuken (& Incases) Caroline Legendre, Ralf Bruening

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2002:
3Com (& CommWorks) [Roy Leventhal], James Goshorn
Actel Prabhu Mohan
Agilent Herbert Lage
Airbus Claude Huet
Alstom Transport Luca Giacotto
Apt Software Atul Agarwal
Astrium Olivier Prieur
Avanti (Hailong Wang)
Bee Technologies Corporation Tsuyoshi Horigome
Brocade Communications Robert Badal
Compaq Shafier-ur-Rahman
Japan Electronics and Kiyomi Daishido
  Information Technology
  Industries Association
  (JEITA)
EADS CCR Alix de la Villeguerin
EFM Ekkehard Miersch
EIA [Cecilia Fleming], Chris Denham*
EMC Corporation (Brian Arsenault)
Fairchild Semiconductor Adam Tambone
Force Computers Roger Sukiennik
Harman/Becker Automotive Hartmut Exler
  Systems
Huawei Technologies (Jiang Xiang Zhong)
Leventhal Design and Roy Leventhal*
  Communication
National Institute of Applied Sebastian Calvet (& Motorola), Etienne
Sicard,
  Science (INSA) Stephane Baffreau
Northrup (Litton) Robert Bremer
Sagam SA Quang Ngo, Matthieu Fontaines
Shindengen Elecric Mfg. Co. [Tsuyoshi Horigome]
Sintecs Hans Klos
STMicroelectronics Fabrice Boissieres
TDK Yoshikazu Fujishiro
Thales Saverio Lerose
Tyco Electronics (Tim Minnick)
UTMC Greg Haynes
Xilinx Susan Wu, J.L. de Long
Independent Larry Barnes

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences
are as follows:

  Date Bridge Number Reservation # Passcode
  July 19, 2002 1-888-316-5901 N/A 7924153
  (International Dial-In: 1-617-801-9781)

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas
out 7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days
after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted
by Stephen Peters and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -----------------------------------

INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
No new participants.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Stephen Peters reported that we have 29 paid members, up from 28 last month.
Stephen and Bob Ross are following up on several other companies who we
expect will join. Stephen encouraged any companies who are planning on
joining to send their payment in as soon as possible so as to be eligible
to participate in the upcoming IBIS 4.0 specification approval process.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
The minutes from the May 31, 2002 teleconference were approved without
change.

The minutes from the June 13, 2002 IBIS Summit Meeting were approved without
change.

The ARs were discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
None.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
None.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Roy Leventhal produced June 1 and 9, 2002 updates to the Models page. Many
links were corrected or updated.

Stephen Peters reported that Bob Ross has provided these new links
that are found and are on Roy's page:

Alchemy Semiconductor (one model under first product):
  http://www.alchemysemi.com/product_info/index.html

Cicada Semiconductor (request form with IBIS Models):
  http://www.cicada-semi.com/products/resource/ibis.htm

STMicroelectronics (NVRAM links with overview, example and request form)
  http://www.st.com/stonline/products/support/memory/nvram/nv_ibis.htm
  http://www.st.com/stonline/products/support/memory/nvram/nv_mo_rq.htm

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
None.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation) - Stephen Peters needs
  to review the some comments on the Cookbook and Report document.

- JEDEC JC-16 - Modeling and Testing - No report.

- T10, Project 1414-DT - SCSI Signal Modeling (a Technical Committee of
  the National Committee for Information Technology (NCITS)) - No Report.

DAC 2002 IBIS SUMMIT MEETING PLANNING REVIEW
Stephen Peters called for comments on the IBIS Summit Meeting held on
June 13, 2002 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Stephen felt that there was
some very worthwhile discussion on the open source golden parser issues
as well as finishing off IBIS 4.0 in light of the multi-lingual modeling
proposal. Arpad Muranyi felt that this summit has a better balance
between the technical and business items. Arpad also asked if there
was going to be a follow up BIRD to Luca Giacotto's presentation on modeling
IBIS model output impedance and C_comp. Stephen replied that he felt
that the proposal was solid enough to be put into a formal BIRD process,
and would work with Luca on producing one.

FUTURE IBIS SUMMIT MEETINGS
As was reported at the June Summit meeting the planned joint meeting between
EIA and JEDEC groups, scheduled for September in Vancouver, British Columbia
was canceled. The JEDEC group will still be meeting, but it is unknown if
any EIA affiliated group will be joining them. While the consensus was to
not hold an official IBIS summit meeting in Vancover, British Columbia,
Lynne Green has indicated she will attend selected JEDEC meetings as an
official IBIS representative and report back to the Open Forum.

Stephen Peters mentioned that we are still planning on holding an IBIS
summit meeting on October 17 in Boxborough, Massachusetts. This meeting,
hosted on site by North East System Associates (NESA), will coincide with
the PCB East Conference.

IBIS QUALITY COMMITTEE
Stephen Peters reported that a meeting was held June 18, 2002. The next
meeting is scheduled for July 2. Reading from the minutes of that
meeting, work continues on developing the IBIS checklist.

IBIS OPEN SOURCE PARSER PROPOSAL DISCUSSION
Stephen Peters recapped the discussion at the June IBIS Summit. In brief,
Stephen argued that there was a greater quality advantage in developing
an open source base for the current spice-to-ibis program rather than
pursuing open source development of the Golden Parser. Also, while we
can pursue a dual license strategy of open source licensing along with a
commercial type license, the IBIS Open Forum must verify that enough
companies will still be willing to fund development of the new parser.

Further discussion was postponed due to a lack of quality committee
representatives.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
Stephen Peters reported that a model from Philips was sent out for review.

MAJORDOMO UPDATE
John Angulo has nothing new to report.

NEW ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
None.

IBIS VERSION 4.0/BIRD75 DISCUSSION
Stephen Peters reported that the latest draft of the IBIS 4.0 specification
(ver4_0wip1.txt) has been uploaded to the IBIS web site. It is under the
Version 4.0 Work In Process link

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/ver4.0_wip/

This version has been updated with the editorial corrections as discussed
during the March 28 and April 19 IBIS teleconferences. The changes
include:

 -- Change 'Description' field of [Manufacture] keyword per
    minutes of the 04/19/2002 teleconference
 -- Clarified usage of [Alternate Package Model] keyword per
    minutes of the 04/19/2002 teleconference
 -- [Temperature Range], added reference to NOTES ON DATA
    DERIVATION METHOD per 03/28/02 teleconference minutes
 -- Changed "100 voltage point" limit to "100 row" limit in
    the [Pullup] and [Pulldown] keyword text per the 03/28/02
    teleconference minutes.
 -- Changed [R Series], etc. keyword description per 03/28/02
    teleconference minutes. Changed [Series Current] keyword
    "100 point" reference per 03/28/02 teleconference minutes.
 -- Added clarification text to description of [Test Data] keyword
    per the 4/19/02 teleconference minutes.
 -- Changed "100 voltage points" to "100 rows" in the
    [Series MOSFET] keyword
 -- Changed "100 voltage points" to "100 rows" in the
    [GND Pulse Table] and [POWER Pulse Table] keywords. Also
    corrected first sentence of usage rules per 04/19/02
    teleconference minutes.

Stephen summerized the specific changes one by one. No issues were noted.

Stephen then opened a discussion on the issue of the new C_comp distribution
subparameters added by BIRD65. During the editorial review process, it was
discovered that there is no explanation in the current draft text of were
the
distributed capacitances represented by the new C_comp parameters are to be
applied in the prototype simulation model. It was also felt that the usage
rules for these subparameters could be clarified.

In response, Arpad Muranyi posted a proposed new BIRD. This BIRD would add
a new paragraph that explains where the distributed capacitances are to be
applied in the prototype simulation model. In addition, the names of two
of the original subparameters, "C_comp_power" and "C_comp_gnd", were changed
to "C_comp_power_clamp" and "C_comp_gnd_clamp" respectively to better
reflect
their purpose. Some minor wording changes to the current draft text were
also proposed.

During the following discussion John Angulo noted that the [Rising Waveform]
and [Falling Waveform] keyword descriptions should be edited to refer to the

appropriate C_comp or C_comp* subparameters. A few wording changes were also
introduced in the first paragraph to better distinguish between the
inclusion of a subparameter and the use of its value.

Stephen agreed to update Arpad's proposal and formally issue a BIRD76.
While
no technical content was changed from the current draft 4.0 specification,
it
was felt that the text changes were extensive enough to warrant formal
documentation by a BIRD. A vote on BIRD76 will be conducted before the vote
on IBIS 4.0.

The final vote on IBIS 4.0 is tentatively scheduled for July 19, 2002.
Stephen urged those present to review the document and forward any comments
to the IBIS reflector two weeks before the meeting.

IBIS CONNECTOR & FUTURES GROUP REPORT
Stephen Peters reported that weekly meetings continue, with meetings held
June 5, and again on June 20 and June 25, 2002. The next meeting will be
on July 9. The group is still working on last minute editorial corrections
and clarifications to the specification, including a technical issue on
the use of the swathing parameters for connectors. The latest version of
the draft specification (ICM_998.txt)will be made available on the IBIS web
page under the connector Info link at the following URL.

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/connector/

BIRD74.1 - EMI Parameters
Guy de Burgh has issued an updated BIRD74.1, incorporating some of the
comments made previously. Guy also indicated that he wanted to remove the
[Model EMI] keyword from the current BIRD, as this keyword was better
located in the connector spec. Other than that Guy is comfortable with the
current proposal. Guy indicated that he will issue an updated BIRD74.2
before the next meeting.

BIRD75.1 - Multi-Lingual Modeling IBIS Modeling Support
Arpad Muranyi summarized the comments he has forwarded to BIRD author Bob
Ross. In brief, Arpad questioned the need for the [Node List] keyword -- it
is optional, as all it does is declare node names. The response was that
this keyword should actually be required, and declaring the nodes serves
much
the same purpose as declaring variables in a programming language. Arpad
also asked about combining the [External Model] and [External Circuit]
keywords. Mentor's response was that these keywords appear in different
places, thus they have different scoping requirements. In addition,
these keywords have different types of arguments. Arpad indicated that
he would like to see more discussion on these issues and on BIRD75.1 as
a whole.

IBISCHK3 & BUG TRACKING STATUS
Stephen Peters reported that Atual Agarwal is currently traveling. Atual
will
have the latest IBISCHK3 update, IBISCHK3.2.9 which includes a fix for
BUG67,
available by July 4, 2002 at the latest.

NEXT MEETING:
The next teleconference meeting will be on July 19, 2002 from 8:00 AM to
10:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time. Votes are scheduled on BIRD76 and IBIS 4.0
specification.

                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-1831
            stephen.peters@intel.com
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF4-215
            2111 NE 25th Ave.
            Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961

VICE CHAIR: Lynne Green (425) 788-0412, Fax (425) 451-1871
            lgreen@cadence.com
            Senior Modeling Engineer, Cadence Design Systems
            20 120th Ave NE, Suite 103, Bellevue, WA 98005-3016

SECRETARY: Guy de Burgh (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            gdeburgh@innoveda.com
            Senior Manager, Mentor Graphics
            1369 Del Norte Rd.
            Camarillo, CA 93010-8437

LIBRARIAN: Roy Leventhal (847) 590-9398
            roy.leventhal@ieee.org
            Consultant, Leventhal Design and Communications
            1924 North Burke Drive
            Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004

WEBMASTER: Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            shuq@cisco.com
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 497-5077, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            jangulo@innoveda.com
            Development Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  majordomo@eda.org
      In the body, for the IBIS Open Forum Reflector:
      subscribe ibis <your e-mail address>

      In the body, for the IBIS Users' Group Reflector:
      subscribe ibis-users <your e-mail address>

      Help and other commands:
      help

  ibis-request@eda.org
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      (ibis@eda.org), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector (ibis-users@eda.org)
      or both. State your request.

  ibis-info@eda.org
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  ibis@eda.org
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector. This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-users@eda.org
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector. This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibischk-bug@eda.org
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported
      bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, and
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
Electronic Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via FTP anonymous.