RE: [IBIS] BIRD 75 comments

Subject: RE: [IBIS] BIRD 75 comments
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 10:28:38 PDT

Bob,

Thanks for your response and for educating me about the terminology
using the words port, terminal, etc. in a broader sense as the AMS
languages do it. In that perspective it makes a lot more sense now.

I was only concerned, because of some conversations I had with RF guys
(primarily ADS users) who use the word "port" with special and mysterious
emphasis. Port as opposed to probe, kind of like ... oh the port is
different, oh, you don't know what it is? It is not the same thing,
... it is something very special, it is a ***port***, its not just a
measuring point. But what is it, how are they different? Well, it is a
***port***, not a probe... Sorry for the sarcasm, RF guys, didn't mean
to hurt anyone.

I didn't want to fall into the mistake of using that word in a single
minded, special way where people can read a lot of different things into
it. The explanation you gave is good, perhaps a better definition upfront
(using the words from your message) may help to put the reader into the
correct mind frame.

In order to help the decision and not get rat holed into this discussion
about the location of the [External Model] keyword I would like to look at
it from a distance. In summary, the fancy specmanship parameters and
measurements I brought up can be done inside the model. So the model
will decide when it saw a good signal and then just signal it with a
purely digital output whether it was good or bad. From that point of
view we wouldn't need the extended capabilities I mentioned regarding
these parameters. This puts more burden on the model maker, but the
model itself could take care of it. I can live with that, this reduces
the dependency on the tool's measurement capabilities.

However, because this could eliminate the need for many of the subparameters
and keywords that the old [Model] keyword now uses I wonder, what other
reasons
do we have to want to nest the [External Model] under the old [Model]
keyword?
The only questionable keywords and parameters I can think of would be the
voltage
range and voltage reference keywords and the reference load definitions
(which
may also be debatable).

It is true that one could make a combo model that way, using the old style
IV and Vt curves in addition to the new [External Model] description.
However,
I don't think that this will happen too often, because this puts extra work
on the model maker, and the miscorrelation between the new and old
descriptions
may be so great that you may not want to have to deal with it. The
additional
complications regarding the added complexity of keyword usage rules,
especially
in connection with C_comp, [Ramp] and the differential models makes this
approach
very undesirable to me. The rules and interactions become too ugly in my
opinion,
just think about the [Driver Schedule] keyword, how ugly and problematic it
is
with C_comp, etc...

Frankly, I do not want to be bogged down by the old baggage by putting this
new
keyword inside it. That would force us to have to live with the old
mistakes and
shortcomings of the spec for the rest of its life. If the new keyword was
independent, the old stuff could eventually be put to sleep after a while.
(Even
though the tools would still need to support it, but model makers wouldn't
have
to use it).

I am also confused by your and Chris' allusions regarding the usage of the
[External Circuit] keyword. It sounds like as if you would be saying that I
could put a buffer model into it. That is not the way I read the BIRD. We
need to decide what the intention is and write the BIRD accordingly.
However,
if that was the case, I have to say it again, would prefer to not have two
different but very similar keywords do the same...

Thanks,

Arpad
======