Re: [IBIS] Parameterization in BIRD 75

Subject: Re: [IBIS] Parameterization in BIRD 75
From: Ross, Bob (bob_ross@mentorg.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 16:36:54 PDT

Lynne, Arpad, Ian and All:

Great point about encryption. I agree with Arpad that often
in "SPICE" the .params are in the file and outside of the
sensitive encrypted regions. In other languages, if the
internal contents are encrypted, then some other documentation
(or model-vendor provided script) is needed to document
what parameters exist.

The names are then available, and the type, and other
information should be available. Otherwise, how would anyone
know of these "secret" parameters and what to enter?

Besides, as Arpad points out, the EDA tool de-encrypts the file
for storage in some internal data structure. The secret
contents are tagged in some manner so that it cannot be
revealed outside of the data structure. However, some
parameters could still be passed outside from internal
data structures such as initial values of parameters to
be passed in - expecially if they were intended to be
used in that manner. So it may possible to pass some internal
parameters outside of the file - such as the default parameter
value for display in a pull-down window interface. However,
there also could be the risk that this is not supported or
should not be supported for security reasons if it is part of
the encrypted data.

Bob Ross
Mentor Graphics