RE: [IBIS] HSPICE encryption (was HyperLynx)

Subject: RE: [IBIS] HSPICE encryption (was HyperLynx)
From: Mike LaBonte (milabont@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 06:43:06 PST

They probably all use private key encryption, meaning the key is
hard-coded into the software, and never revealed. In theory it is
possible to devise a program for cracking an encrypted circuit file
by trying every possible key, one the encryption algortihm is known.
To make this more difficult, the simulator developers will not
(I hope) tell anyone anything about the encryption algorithm used.

Simulators have their decryption code embedded, so they can read
and decrypt files on-the-fly, storing the circuit information in
memory only while they are running. Although the memory of the
running simulator can be inspected, it would probably be very
difficult to locate and decode.

There have been instances of simulator encryption schemes being
cracked in the past. To my knowledge, HSPICE has not been cracked.
If it had been, all encrypted models shipped up to that time would
be irreversibly exposed. An event like that is a catastrophic
confidence killer.

Mike LaBonte