[IBIS] BIRD81.1 - Clarify Usage Rule for [Pin} I/O Model Assignment

Subject: [IBIS] BIRD81.1 - Clarify Usage Rule for [Pin} I/O Model Assignment
From: Ross, Bob (bob_ross@mentorg.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 12:03:19 PST

To IBIS Committee:

Per the IBIS Open Forum Meeting on January 10, 2003, BIRD81.1 by Lance Wang
is issued with a minor editorial corrections and improvements shown in the
|** lines.

Bob Ross
Mentor Graphics

                       Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)

BIRD ID#: 81.1
ISSUE TITLE: Clarify Usage Rule for [Pin] I/O Model Assignment
REQUESTOR: Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED: 12/23/2002, 1/10/2003
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM: Pending

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

IBIS model makers/users often mistakenly assign a Series/Series_switch
model to pins in [Pin] section. Series/Series_switch type model or a
[Model Selector] which contains Series/Series_switch models should not
be assigned directly to a single pin by its definition. It should be only
assigned in [Series Pin Mapping] for a pin pair.

A little description in [Series Pin Mapping] Notes is not enough to drive
he better quality IBIS models.

Clarification is necessary in the usage rules of [Pin] section.

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

The [Pin] keyword from the Draft Version 4.0 document is modified to
clarify the usage rules for Series/Series_switch type model.

Changes are shown by |* lines, and the new ones by |** lines.

|=============================================================================
| Keyword: [Pin]
| Required: Yes
| pin names and signal names.
| Sub-Params: signal_name, model_name, R_pin, L_pin, C_pin
| Usage Rules: All pins on a component must be specified. The first column
| must contain the pin name. The second column, signal_name,
| gives the data book name for the signal on that pin. The
| third column, model_name, maps a pin to a specific I/O buffer
| model or model selector name. Each model_name must have a
| corresponding model or model selector name listed in a [Model]
| or [Model Selector] keyword below, unless it is a reserved
| model name (POWER, GND, or NC).
|
|** The model_name column cannot be used for model or model selector
|** names that reference Series and Series_switch models.
|*
| Each line must contain either three or six columns. A pin
| line with three columns only associates the pin's signal and
| model. Six columns can be used to override the default
| package values (specified under [Package]) FOR THAT PIN ONLY.
| When using six columns, the headers R_pin, L_pin, and C_pin
| must be listed. If "NA" is in columns 4 through 6, the
| default packaging values must be used. The headers R_pin,
| L_pin, and C_pin may be listed in any order.
|
| Column length limits are:
| [Pin] 5 characters max
| model_name 20 characters max
| signal_name 20 characters max
| R_pin 9 characters max
| L_pin 9 characters max
| C_pin 9 characters max
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Pin] signal_name model_name R_pin L_pin C_pin

  1 RAS0# Buffer1 200.0m 5.0nH 2.0pF
  2 RAS1# Buffer2 209.0m NA 2.5pF
  3 EN1# Input1 NA 6.3nH NA
  4 A0 3-state
  5 D0 I/O1
  6 RD# Input2 310.0m 3.0nH 2.0pF
  7 WR# Input2
  8 A1 I/O2
  9 D1 I/O2
 10 GND GND 297.0m 6.7nH 3.4pF
 11 RDY# Input2
 12 GND GND 270.0m 5.3nH 4.0pF
| .
| .
| .
 18 Vcc3 POWER
 19 NC NC
 20 Vcc5 POWER 226.0m NA 1.0pF

|**21 BAD1 Series_switch1 | Illegal assignment
|**22 BAD2 Series_selector1 | Illegal assignment

|=============================================================================

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:

Series and Series_switch models are designed for a pair of pins. When assign
Series/Series_switch model to a single pin, the EDA tools can not correctly
build the connections with pins and Series/Series_switch models. We
found many cases of bad IBIS models due to this issue. They were made by
IC vendors, SI Engineers and even model vendors/experts.

IBIS golden parser does not report this error either. BUG77 reports this
ibischk3 bug.

Clarification is necessary for the documentation.

The changes were designated by |* lines

BIRD81.1 is issued with minor editorial corrections designated by |** lines.