[IBIS] Open forum minutes (01/10/03)

Subject: [IBIS] Open forum minutes (01/10/03)
From: deBurgh, Guy (guy_deburgh@mentorg.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 10:50:25 PST

DATE: 01/13/03

SUBJECT: January 10, 2003 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2003 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Ansoft Corporation (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer (Kim Helliwell)
Applied Simulation Technology (Fred Balistreri)
Cadence Design Lynne Green*
Cisco Systems Syed Huq*
Cypress Semiconductor (Rajesh Manapat)
Huawei Technologies (Jiang Xiang Zhong)
IBM (Pravin Patel)
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Michael Mirmak*,
                               Arpad Muranyi*
LSI Logic Frank Gasparik*
Matsushita (Panasonic) (Atsuji Ito)
Mentor Graphics Bob Ross*, Ian Dodd*, Guy de Burgh*,
                               John Angulo*
Micron Technology Randy Wolff*
Mitsubishi (Pat Hefferan)
Molex Incorporated (Gus Panella)
Motorola (Rick Kingen)
National Semiconductor (Milt Schwartz)
NEC Electric Corporation (Itsuki Yamada)
North East Systems Associates (Edward Sayre)
Philips Semiconductor (D.C. Sessions)
Quantic EMC (Mike Ventham)
Siemens (& Automotive) AG (Eckhard Lenski)
Signal Integrity Software (Bob Haller)
Sigrity (Raj Raghuram)
SiQual (Rob Hinz)
Texas Instruments (Thomas Fisher)
Teraspeed (Scott McMorrow)
Time Domain Analysis Systems (Dima Smolyansky)
Via Technologies (Weber Chuang)
Zuken (& Incases) (Michael Schaeder)

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2003:
GEIA (Chris Denham)

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences
are as follows:

  Date Bridge Number Reservation # Passcode
  January 27, 2003 IBIS Summit, no bridge available
  February 14, 2003 (916) 356-2663 3 1805849

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas
out 7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days
after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted
by Stephen Peters and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -----------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
There were no new participants.

CALL FOR PATENTS
Stephen Peters called for any patents or pending patents related to the
IBIS Version 4.0 Standard. No companies declared a patent.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Stephen Peters reported that 33 IBIS dues invoices have been mailed, with
three more pending. Stephen noted that the IBIS budget for 2003 assumes
25 member companies, and he urged companies who are intending to join
not to delay their dues payment. This is so we know early in the year how
many members we will have and can adjust the spending accordingly.

Stephen also reported that the EIA has sent a check in the amount of $7,365
to Atul Argawal in partial payment for future development work on the IBIS
4.0 golden parser. The amount represented the balance of our EIA account
for 2002 plus $4,000 from the EIA itself.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
Arpad Muranyi posted a message on behalf of Luca Giocotto regarding a
correction to the December 13, 2002 minutes. In a reflector email
titled "Re: [IBIS] IBIS open forum minutes (12/13/02)" dated January 8, 2003

Luca corrected some of Arpad's technical comments made during a discussion
of BIRD79. The December 13, 2002 minutes will be amended to reflect Luca's
comments. The rest of the December 13, 2002 minutes were approved without
change.

ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
None reported.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Stephen Peters reported that Syed Huq has updated the IBIS roster page with
new entries for NEC Electronic Corporation. Syed mentioned that he is also
updating the roster to remove Innoveda as a separate company, and Innoveda's
representatives will be moved to the Mentor Graphics roster entry. Finally,
Lynne Green noted that Chris Denham's e-mail address should be updated.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Stephen Peters reported that Roy Leventhal updated the IBIS Models page
on December 20, 2002.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
None.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation) - No report.

ELECTION OF IBIS SECRETARY
As reported previously, Guy de Burgh will be stepping down from his position
of IBIS Secretary effective January 31, 2003 (after the DesignCon IBIS
Summit
Meeting in which he is coordinating the IBIS Booth). Stephen Peters
nominated Randy Wolff of Micron to fill out the remainder of Guy's term
starting on February 1, 2003. Bob Ross seconded the nomination and Randy
was elected unanimously by roll call vote.

Stephen will add Randy's contact information to the NOTES section of the
minutes, and Bob Ross will update the web page contact information.

DESIGNCON 2003 IBIS SUMMIT MEETING PLANNING
Stephen Peters reported that planning continues for the DesignCon2003 IBIS
Summit sponsored by DesignCon2003 and National Semiconductor. The summit is
scheduled for Monday, January 27, 2003 in Santa Clara, California at the
Westin Hotel adjacent to the Santa Clara Convention Center. National
Semiconductor is supplying the lunch and Stephen reminded those planning
to attend to visit the IBIS web page under the upcoming events link and
sign up with Milt Schwartz.

Stephen reported that Milt has received about 20 sign-ups. It was noted
that Lynne Green has sent out a third summit announcement and Guy de Burgh
has sent a request for IBIS placards for the IBIS booth to several new
member companies. Placards are due to Guy by January 24, 2003. Stephen and
Lynne are working together to modify the current IBIS handout to list the
IBIS links and extra summit presentations will be available. Per IBIS
by-laws Stephen will post the meeting agenda by Monday, January 20, 2003.

Lynne will be contacting speakers starting next week. Milt would like
presentations delivered by Tuesday, January 21, 2003 since he needs a few
days to get copies from the copy center. It is best if presentations are
done on a PC and sent as attachments.

Stephen reported that no company has stepped forward to fund the full $700
dollars it would take to enable a webcast presentation with voice, therefore

the webcast will not take place.

Finally, Stephen noted that the following individuals have signed up to
present at the summit (presentation titles are tentative)

 - Stephen Peters, Intel, IBIS Report
 - Dima Smolysansky, TDA Systems, TBD
 - Barry Katz, Signal Integrity Software, Quality Committee Report
 - Atsuji Ito, Matsushita (Panasonic), JEITA/IBIS Activity Report
 - Bob Ross, Mentor, TBD
 - Arpad Muranyi, Intel, Certain Effects in Differential Modeling
 - Tim Coyle, National Semiconductor, IBIS Modeling Experiences

In addition, Michael Mirmak indicated that he will confer with Kelly
Green and present on the ICM parser status. Again, other presentations are
encouraged.

DATE 2003 IBIS SUMMIT PLANNING
Bob Ross reported that he has begun preliminary planning for the European
IBIS Summit. This summit is held in conjunction with the DATE 2003
conference in Munich Germany, and a tentative date of Friday, March 8, 2003
has been selected. Because of travel restrictions, no one from the US has
obtained commitment to travel to Europe. Werner Rissiek and the Zuken
team (who were co-sponsors along with Siemens AG and Mentor) have
volunteered to chair the meeting and take care of much logistics. Bob
is still working with them on the details. It may be a morning/early
afternoon meeting. An announcement should go out next week. Initially,
Bob indicates that he estimates about 4-5 presentations.

and determine if this can be considered an official summit meeting.

IBIS VERSION 4.0 PARSER FUNDING ISSUES
Lynne Green reported that six companies have committed to help fund
development of the IBIS 4.0 parser, and another three companies are
probable. The goal is to have 10 companies committed at a minimum of
$2,084 a piece before starting the project. However, given that we have
already committed funds of $7,365 (see the Treasurer's report above) the
nine
potential companies would be enough to fund the remainder of the project.
Stephen proposed sending the eight committed companies an invoice for $2,084
(Syed Huq reported that Cisco Systems has already sent payment to EIA).
There was unanimous consent to this proposal. Lynne and Stephen
Peters will continue to work on finding three (or more) additional companies

to commit. Furthermore, Stephen will contact Atul Argawal and give him
permission to begin development of the IBIS 4.0 parser, while informing him
that we are still in the process of invoicing the funds. Finally, Lynne
asked if Atul Argawal will also be doing the parser extension to cover
IBIS version 4.1. Bob replied that the IBIS 4.1 parser extensions will
go out for competitive bid.

IBIS QUALITY COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported that IBIS quality committee met on January 7, 2003,
and will meet again on January 21, 2003. The committee is still working on
documents cleanup and preparing for the IBIS Summit meeting.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported no new models to review.

NEW ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
None.

IBIS FUTURES AND CONNECTOR WORKING GROUP REPORT
Lynne Green reported that the futures committee met on January 9, 2003
to review the comments received on the Draft 1.0 ICM Specification.
Michael Mirmak and Kelly Green presented a high level summary of their
comments. Comments were classified as editorial, clarification, and
technical. Michael and Kelly Green will address the editorial and
clarification issues, and present recommended changes to the draft at the
DesignCon Summit. Technical issues will be identified, but no technical
changes are planned.

BIRD75.8 - Multi-Lingual IBIS Model Support
BIRD77.2 - Differential Subparameter Additions
Bob Ross reported that a revised BIRD75.8 was made available on the web
site.
Bob gave a quick summary of the major changes from the previous
version. Bob Also mentioned that BIRD77.2 adds changes to support
pseudo-differential models, but the additional 'model_types' introduced
by BIRD77.2 have no meaning without also passing BIRD75.8. Bob also noted
that changes can still be introduced to the multi-lingual modeling
proposal using the normal BIRD process, but passing these two birds now
will stabilize the multi-lingual syntax.

Arpad Murani noted that reflector comments raised a concern regarding the
intent of the [External Model] override within a [Model] keyword. It is not
explicitly clear that a fully functional native IBIS model is still allowed
under a [Model] that uses an [External Model] keyword. After discussion it
was agreed that the clarification was needed, but it would be handled by a
separate BIRD or the standard editorial process for IBIS 4.1. Likewise,
Lynne Green noted that Figure 4 does not correlate with a specific example
in the text, and she asked that this be recorded in the minutes for future
consideration as an editorial revision.

With no further discussion Stephen Peters called for a vote on both
BIRD77.2 and BIRD75.8 together. Both BIRDs were approved unanimously.
Bob will upload the final BIRDs onto the web site, changing their status
to 'approved'.

BIRD78.1 - Comment Line Length Limit
After a quick summary of BIRD78.1 by Lynne Green, Stephen Peters called
for a vote. BIRD78.1 was approved unanimously.

BIRD80.1 - Add External Reference Column to Pin Mapping Keyword
Michael Mirmak posted BIRD80.1, which updates the previous BIRD with
various editorial comments and clarifications. After a short discussion,
it was decided to schedule this BIRD for a vote at the teleconference
meeting following the January Summit.

BIRD81 - Clarify Usage Rule for [Pin] I/O Model Assignment
Bob Ross introduced BIRD81, which was submitted by Lance Wang of Cadence.
BIRD81 adds language to the [Pin] keyword description to clarify
that series and series_switch model types cannot be used in the model field
of a [Pin] keyword. Bob noted one minor editorial point, in that the added
text needed to be prefixed with the comment character. Bob will upload
the bird as BIRD81.1 with this change. A vote on BIRD81.1 is scheduled for
the teleconference meeting following the January Summit.

BIRD74.2 - EMI Parameters
BIRD79 - Non-linear buffer impedance (extension to C_comp)
Discussion on these BIRDs was deferred.

IBISCHK3 & BUG TRACKING STATUS
Stephen Peters noted that Michael Mirmak provided a Perl utility to produce
an index to the BUG reports:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/index.html

Michael also upgraded the Perl script for the BIRD reports to correct a
second line truncation artifact.

- BUG71 - Monotonic Checking for Combined I-V Tables
  Bob Ross is waiting for Bob Haller to update the BUG report to clarify
  which I-V table combination are legal and illegal. Further discussion
  has been deferred.
- BUG74 - Missing Timing Test Load Warning Messages
  Greg Edlund has updated this bug with clarification of assumed default
  values for Cref, Vref, etc. Further action is postponed until the
  rest of the Open Forum has had a chance to review the contents of the
  bug report.
- BUG78 - Clamp Current Double Counting Test
  While this bug has a test case, it is still incomplete as to the bug
  specifics and how to detect the reported error. We will defer
  classification until we receive an update from Roy Leventhal. Bob Ross
  stated that the quality committee should identify a test to detect the
  case of clamp current double counting else there is little we can
  do to fix this bug.

NEXT MEETING:
The next meeting will be the IBIS summit meeting at DesignCon2003 on January
27, 2003. No phone bridge or webcast is planned. The next teleconference
is tentatively scheduled for February 14, 2003.

                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-1831
            stephen.peters@intel.com
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF4-215
            2111 NE 25th Ave.
            Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961

VICE CHAIR: Lynne Green (425) 788-0412, Fax: (425) 788-4289
            lgreen@cadence.com
            Senior Modeling Engineer, Cadence Design Systems
            20 120th Ave NE, Suite 103, Bellevue, WA 98005-3016

SECRETARY: Guy de Burgh (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            guy_deburgh@mentor.com
            Senior Manager, Mentor Graphics
            1369 Del Norte Rd.
            Camarillo, CA 93010-8437

SECRETARY ELECT: Randy Wolff (208) 363-1764, Fax: (208) 368-3475
            rrwolff@micron.com
            Simulation Engineer, Micron Technology, Inc.
            8000 S. Federal Way
            Mail Stop: 711
            Boise, ID 83707-0006

LIBRARIAN: Roy Leventhal (847) 590-9398
            roy.leventhal@ieee.org
            Consultant, Leventhal Design and Communications
            1924 North Burke Drive
            Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004

WEBMASTER: Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            shuq@cisco.com
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 497-5077, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            John_angulo@mentor.com
            Development Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  majordomo@eda.org
      In the body, for the IBIS Open Forum Reflector:
      subscribe ibis <your e-mail address>

      In the body, for the IBIS Users' Group Reflector:
      subscribe ibis-users <your e-mail address>

      Help and other commands:
      help

  ibis-request@eda.org
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      (ibis@eda.org), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector (ibis-users@eda.org)
      or both. State your request.

  ibis-info@eda.org
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  ibis@eda.org
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector. This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-users@eda.org
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector. This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibischk-bug@eda.org
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported
      bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, and
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
Electronic Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via FTP anonymous.