[IBIS] Open forum minutes (05/09/03)

Subject: [IBIS] Open forum minutes (05/09/03)
From: rrwolff (rrwolff@micron.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 16:33:41 PDT

DATE: 05/12/03

SUBJECT: May 9, 2003 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2003 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Ansoft Corporation (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer Kim Helliwell
Applied Simulation Technology Fred Balistreri
Cadence Design Lynne Green*
Cisco Systems Syed Huq, Val Mandruson, Hung Pham
Cypress Semiconductor (Rajesh Manapat)
Fairchild Semiconductor (Graham Connolly)
Hitachi ULSI Systems Kazuyoshi Shoji
Huawei Technologies (Jiang Xiang Zhong)
IBM (Pravin Patel)
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Michael Mirmak*,
                               Arpad Muranyi*, Eric Magnusson*
LSI Logic Frank Gasparik
Matsushita (Panasonic) Atsuji Ito
Mentor Graphics [Bob Ross], Ian Dodd*, Guy de Burgh*,
                               John Angulo*, Mike Donnelly, Weston Beal
Micron Technology Randy Wolff*
Mitsubishi (Pat Hefferan)
Molex Incorporated Gus Panella
Motorola (Rick Kingen)
National Semiconductor [Milt Schwartz], [Tim Coyle]
NEC Electric Corporation (Itsuki Yamada)
North East Systems Associates Edward Sayre
Philips Semiconductor (D.C. Sessions), Stephanie Goedecke
Quantic EMC (Mike Ventham)
Siemens (& Automotive) AG Eckhard Lenski, Michael Kindij,
                               Burkhard Muller, Katja Koller,
                               Andre Goerisch, Manfred Maurer,
                               Bernard Unger, Amir Motamedi,
                               Hartmut Ibowski, Gerald Bannert
Signal Integrity Software Bob Haller*, Barry Katz, Doug Burns
Sigrity [Raj Raghuram]
SiQual (Rob Hinz)
Texas Instruments Thomas Fisher
Teraspeed Scott McMorrow, Tom Dagostino,
                               Kevin Simpson, Bob Ross
Time Domain Analysis Systems Dima Smolyansky, Steve Corey
Via Technologies (Weber Chuang)
Zuken (& Incases) Michael Schaeder, Ralf Bruning,

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2003:
Agilent Technologies Herbert Lage
Brocade Frank Yuan, Yongrue Yu
Conexant Gary Felker
EADS CCR Alix de la Villeguerin
EFM Ekkehard Miersch
EMC Corporation Brian Arsenault
Fraunhofer IZM Ege Engin
Fujitsu Tadashi Arai
GEIA (Chris Denham)
Independent Kelly Green, Luca Giacotto
Infineon Tech AG Christian Sporrer
Marvell Semiconductor Itzik Peleg
NetLogic Microsystems Eric Hsu
Plexus Joseph Socha
Politechnico de Torino Igor Stievano
Sintecs BV Hans Klos, Bob te Nijenhuis
Sun Microsystems Tim Coyle*
Xilinx Susan Wu

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are
as follows:

  Date Bridge Number Reservation # Passcode
  May 30, 2003 (916) 356-2663 1 2873560

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas
out 7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days
after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted
by Stephen Peters and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -----------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
The IBIS Open Forum welcomed first time caller Eric Magnusson from Intel
Corp. Eric is a validation engineer in the flash memory division of Intel
and is responsible for IBIS model creation.

CALL FOR PATENTS
Stephen Peters called for any patents or pending patents related to the
IBIS Version 4.0 Standard. No companies declared a patent.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Stephen Peters reported that he has received from EIA an updated balance
sheet through March as well as an updated ledger report. According to the
latest report, paid membership remains at 16 members, which is down signifi-
cantly from last year at this time. GEIA has sent out a reminder letter to
those who have not paid their dues yet, and Stephen will begin the process
of following up with members individually. Stephen stated that if a company
has not paid its dues by mid-June we would begin the process of removing
their name from the voting member list on the minutes.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
The April 18, 2003 minutes were approved without changes.

ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
None.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Stephen Peters announced that Bob Ross will be at the the Signal
Propagation on Interconnects (SPI2003) workshop as a keynote speaker on
"IBIS Present and Future" on Wednesday, May 14, 2003.

Stephen Peters reported that Syed Huq is making ongoing updates to the IBIS
roster and upcoming events links.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
None.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
None.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation) - No report.
- JEDEC Activity Report. Nothing to report.

DAC2003 MEETING PLANNING
Stephen Peters reported that planning continues for the June 5, 2003 IBIS
summit meeting, which will be held in conjunction with DAC2003 in Anaheim,
California at the Anaheim Marriot hotel. Lynne Green has posted the second
announcement to the reflector. Stephen also noted that attendees should
sign up with Guy de Burgh and start making their travel arrangements.
Finally, Stephen announced that he will be attending the summit.

John Angulo reported on the final cost proposal for the meeting. Assuming
20 attendees, the cost for the meeting space and lunch will be approximately
$1,600. The meal will be a chicken and pasta dish, and Stephen noted that
if an attendee wishes a vegetarian meal, they should note this when they
register for the summit. John stated that he needs a final head count for
meals three days prior to the meeting. John also inquired how the billing
will be handled. Stephen will follow-up with Chris Denham at GEIA and see
if GEIA can be billed directly.

Guy de Burgh indicated that he will supply an LCD projector. Stephen noted
that after consultation with Arpad Muranyi, and considering the additional
cost and the fact that Stephen can attend in person, the decision was made
to not telecast the meeting.

Stephen noted that the following presentations are planned (titles are
tentative).

IBIS Status Update, Stephen Peters (Intel Corp)
Behavioral VHDL-AMS I/O buffer model using IBIS, Arpad Muranyi (Intel Corp)
Quality Committee Update, Barry Katz (SiSoft)
Observations on Problems Encountered, Atsuji Ito (Panasonic)
ICM Status and Update, Michael Mirmak (Intel Corp.)

In addition to presentations and discussion we will also be conducting
the annual election of officers. The current slate of nominees and their
positions are:

Chair Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
Vice-Chair Lynne Green, Cadence
Secretary Randy Wolff, Micron
Librarian Roy Leventhal, Leventhal Design and Communications
Webmaster Syed Huq, Cisco
Postmaster John Angulo, Mentor

Additional nominations are being accepted for all positions. E-mail nominee
names to Stephen Peters. Nominations will also be accepted at the summit
meeting.

DESIGNCON2003 EAST MEETING PLANNING
Stephen Peters reported that planning for an IBIS summit meeting at
Designcon2003 East continues. The summit is scheduled for
June 23, 2003 in the Royal Plaza Hotel in Marlborough, Massachusetts, and
Sisoft is a co-sponsor, along with IBIS. The meeting room is yet to be
determined. Stephen noted that we are also a co-sponsor of DesignCon2003
East. Barry Katz from SiSoft is serving as the contact for registration and
sign-up, so if you are planning on attending please let Barry know. Stephen
mentioned that we have traded refreshments for a telephone line so that the
meeting can be web telecast. It is expected that presentations given at the
DAC2003 Summit will also be given at this meeting.

It was noted that we will need to obtain an LCD projector for the room at
DAC. Stephen will inquire with potential attendees. Finally, Stephen noted
that the first meeting announcement has been posted to the reflector and
that a second announcement should follow in the coming weeks.

IBIS VERSION 4.0 PARSER FUNDING AND STATUS
Stephen Peters is still awaiting confirmation from GEIA that they have
received the payment from Huawei. This brings the total companies that
have paid to six, with three more pending.

Stephen also reported that Atul Agarwal is ready to send an alpha release of
the parser to John Angulo and Matthew Flora for initial testing. This alpha
release will include all the IBIS 4.0 BIRDs with the exception of BIRD70,
Golden Waveforms ([Test Load] and [Test Data] keywords). Arpad Muranyi would
also like a copy of the source code for testing.

IBIS VERSION 4.1 DISCUSSION
Stephen Peters introduced the first discussion of IBIS version 4.1 by
listing the BIRDS that have been approved since IBIS 4.0 was voted on. These
BIRDS are as follows:
  BIRD 75.8 - Multi Lingual Modeling Support
  BIRD 77.2 - Differential subparameter additions
  BIRD 78.1 - comment line length limit
  BIRD 80.1 - Add External Reference Column to Pin Mapping Keyword
  BIRD 81.1 - Clarify Usage Rules for [Pin] I/O Model Assignment

There are also several minor editorial corrections that will be included.
Stephen noted that he expects a draft copy of IBIS 4.1 to be
available on the IBIS web page within the next week or so. Stephen asked
those in attendance to review the document when it is released. The plan
is to have the first formal reading of the specification at the May 30, 2003
meeting.

IBIS QUALITY COMMITTEE
Bob Haller reported on the IBIS Quality Committee meetings held on April 22,
2003 and May 6, 2003. Attendance remains stable. The committee is
continuing to work its way through the model section of the quality
document, focusing on I-V table issues and checks. The next meeting is
scheduled for May 20.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported that they have received and distributed models from
both Fairchild and Phillips.

NEW ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
None.

IBIS FUTURES AND CONNECTOR WORKING GROUP REPORT
Stephen Peters reported that the IBIS connector working group met on April
24, 2003 and again on May 8, 2003. All outstanding editorial issues have
been dealt with, but much e-mail has been exchanged on a larger technical
issue of ICM and Touchstone file support for mixed-mode s-parameters. The
connector working group resolved the issue by removing language that
prohibited mixed-mode s-parameter representations from appearing in the
Touchstone data file, with the caveat that Touchstone files currently
have no defined mixed-mode s-parameter data format.

A final draft version of the ICM specification has been released, and
after a final review by the connector working group, it is expected to
be posted on the IBIS web site by Friday, May 16, 2003 for review by the
IBIS Open Forum.

BIRD74.3 - EMI Parameters
Guy de Burgh opened the discussion on BIRD74.3 by noting the changes from
the previous version. The [Family] keyword was removed, the keyword
[Voltage Range] was changed to [Signal Swing], a subparameter for
clock division was added, and several syntax issues were addressed.

Guy then queried the group on how they expect to extract signal swing
from the existing V-T tables. Guy will take this discussion offline with
Arpad Muranyi. Stephen asked how signal swing was defined if the buffer
included pre-emphasis. Guy replied that at the current level of accuracy
the exact pre-emphasis or de-emphasis voltage swing does not make much of
a difference.

handle cases in which a component heat sink was optional. The [Heatsink
Capacitance] keyword is optional, therefore if the keyword is present the
heatsink is assumed attached, else if the keyword is not present, then the
heatsink is assumed not present.

Stephen Peters noted several IBIS syntax issues dealing with keywords and
subparameters. Stephen will provide corrections to Guy offline.

Finally, Guy noted that he has been persuaded to remove from this BIRD
keywords that deal specifically with connectors, with the expectation
that they would then be proposed for inclusion in a later revision of the
ICM specification. Stephen replied that he was agreement with this.

Guy will issue BIRD74.4 with the noted changes for discussion at the next
teleconference.

NEW TECHNICAL DISCUSSIONS
Stephen Peters asked for comments on the recent mail reflector discussion
regarding extracting clamp information for receivers with on-die
termination. It was noted that one part of the solution to properly
modeling on-die termination in receivers is to provide data over the full
-POWER to 2*POWER range, rather than the more restrictive range called out
by the IBIS specification. Arpad Muranyi noted that he teaches his students
to extract clamp data over the extended range. Bob Haller remarked that
there is confusion between the IBIS cookbook and the specification in
regards to clamp summing. The proper method is to sum both the [GND clamp]
and [POWER Clamp] tables to the individual [Pullup] and [Pulldown] tables,
but neither the specification or cookbook explicitly says this. Arpad
suggests reading the IBIS specification again and propose clarifying
language if necessary to make sure the additive nature of the clamp
tables is specified. It was also noted that text is needed that states that
the current GND and POWER ranges are a minimum, and that larger ranges are
acceptable and may be needed for properly modeling receivers with on-die
termination.

Finally, Arpad offered to do a presentation on modeling receivers with
on-die termination at the upcoming DAC summit meeting. Stephen would
also like to see a BIRD that would add the clarifying language cited above.

IBISCHK3 & BUG TRACKING STATUS
John Angulo reported that there has been no progress on prototyping the
fix for BUG73, "Extreme Non-monotonic I-V Tables Cause End Point Test to
Fail". John will pursue this further when he receives the prototype
IBIS 4.0 parser from Atul Agarwal.

- BUG71 - Monotonic Checking for Combined I-V Tables
  Bob Haller reported that the corrected I-V table has been posted to the
  BUG data base. He then asked if the proposed "summed curve" monotonic
  checks should replace the current individual checks. Stephen Peters
  replied that he would like to see the proposed checks replace the current
  checks. The questions was asked about what kind of interpolation between
  tables - linear or spline - should be used. After discussion the consensus
  was to use linear. With this settled BUG71 was assigned a status
  of 'Will Be Fixed'.

NEXT MEETING:
The next teleconference meeting is scheduled for May 30, 2003 from 8:00
AM to 10:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time.
                               NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-1831
            stephen.peters@intel.com
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF4-215
            2111 NE 25th Ave.
            Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961

VICE CHAIR: Lynne Green (425) 788-0412, Fax: (425) 788-4289
            lgreen@cadence.com
            Senior Modeling Engineer, Cadence Design Systems
            20 120th Ave NE, Suite 103, Bellevue, WA 98005-3016

SECRETARY: Randy Wolff (208) 363-1764, Fax: (208) 368-3475
            rrwolff@micron.com
            Simulation Engineer, Micron Technology, Inc.
            8000 S. Federal Way
            Mail Stop: 711
            Boise, ID 83707-0006

LIBRARIAN: Roy Leventhal (847) 590-9398
            roy.leventhal@ieee.org
            Consultant, Leventhal Design and Communications
            1924 North Burke Drive
            Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004

WEBMASTER: Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            shuq@cisco.com
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 497-5077, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            John_angulo@mentor.com
            Development Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  majordomo@eda.org
      In the body, for the IBIS Open Forum Reflector:
      subscribe ibis <your e-mail address>

      In the body, for the IBIS Users' Group Reflector:
      subscribe ibis-users <your e-mail address>

      Help and other commands:
      help

  ibis-request@eda.org
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      (ibis@eda.org), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector (ibis-users@eda.org)
      or both. State your request.

  ibis-info@eda.org
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  ibis@eda.org
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector. This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-users@eda.org
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector. This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibischk-bug@eda.org
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported
      bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, and
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual IBIS
models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the Electronic
Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via FTP anonymous.