[IBIS] Open forum minutes (07/18/03)

Subject: [IBIS] Open forum minutes (07/18/03)
From: rrwolff@micron.com
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 15:14:32 PDT

DATE: 7/23/03

SUBJECT: July 18, 2003 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2003 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Ansoft Corporation (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer Kim Helliwell
Applied Simulation Technology Fred Balistreri
Cadence Design Systems Lynne Green*, Lance Wang
Cisco Systems Syed Huq*, Michael LaBonte,
                               Val Mandruson, Hung Pham,
                               Todd Westerhoff
Fairchild Semiconductor (Graham Connolly)
Hitachi ULSI Systems Kazuyoshi Shoji
Intel Corporation Stephen Peters*, Michael Mirmak*,
                               Arpad Muranyi*, Eric Magnusson
LSI Logic Frank Gasparik*
Matsushita (Panasonic) Atsuji Ito
Mentor Graphics [Bob Ross], Ian Dodd*, Guy de Burgh*,
                               John Angulo*, Mike Donnelly, Weston Beal
Micron Technology Randy Wolff*
Molex Incorporated Gus Panella
Motorola (Rick Kingen)
National Semiconductor [Milt Schwartz], [Tim Coyle]
NEC Electric Corporation (Itsuki Yamada)
Philips Semiconductor (D.C. Sessions), Stephanie Goedecke
Siemens (& Automotive) AG Eckhard Lenski, Michael Kindij,
                               Burkhard Muller, Katja Koller,
                               Andre Goerisch, Manfred Maurer,
                               Bernard Unger, Amir Motamedi,
                               Hartmut Ibowski, Gerald Bannert
Signal Integrity Software Bob Haller*, Barry Katz, Doug Burns
Sigrity [Raj Raghuram]
Synopsys Warren Wong, Edmund Cheng
Texas Instruments Thomas Fisher
Teraspeed Scott McMorrow, Tom Dagostino,
                               Kevin Simpson, Bob Ross*
Time Domain Analysis Systems Dima Smolyansky, Steve Corey
Zuken (& Incases) Michael Schaeder, Ralf Bruening

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2003:
Agilent Technologies Herbert Lage
Brocade Frank Yuan, Yongrue Yu
Conexant Gary Felker
EADS CCR Alix de la Villeguerin
EFM Ekkehard Miersch
EMC Corporation Brian Arsenault, John Fernandez,
                               Simba Julian
Fraunhofer IZM Ege Engin
Fujitsu Tadashi Arai
GEIA (Chris Denham)
Huawei Technologies (Jiang Xiang Zhong)
Independent Kelly Green, Luca Giacotto
Infineon Tech AG Christian Sporrer
Marvell Semiconductor Itzik Peleg
NetLogic Microsystems Eric Hsu
North East Systems Associates Edward Sayre
Plexus Joseph Socha
Politechnico de Torino Igor Stievano
Qlogic Larry Barnes
Sintecs BV Hans Klos, Bob te Nijenhuis
SiQual (Rob Hinz)
Sun Microsystems Tim Coyle
Via Technologies (Weber Chuang)
Xilinx Susan Wu

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are
as follows:

       Date Bridge Number Reservation # Passcode
  August 8, 2003 1-916-356-2663 1 583-0451

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas
out 7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days
after. When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted
by Michael Mirmak and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -----------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
No new introductions.

CALL FOR PATENTS
Michael Mirmak called for any patents or pending patents related to the
IBIS Version 4.0 standard. No companies declared a patent.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Michael Mirmak reported that the current membership still stands at 25 paid
members. The "Voting members and 2003 participants list" which appears
at the top of the minutes has been updated to reflect the 2003 membership.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
Michael Mirmak mentioned that the June 23, 2003 summit minutes and
the June 27, 2003 meeting minutes needed changes to their participants
lists to reflect the current year's voting members. The changes were
approved by acclamation. Bob Ross added that the appropriate changes
have already been made to the documents available on the web.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
No new announcements.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Syed Huq reported that he has completed an initial review of the IBIS
roster to reflect the current membership list. The response level
has not been high. Bob Ross suggested that individual reminders be
sent to unresponsive companies, based on known good addresses. In
addition, Syed accepted an AR to replace the eigroup.org Futures
Committee link with a direct link to the IBIS 4.1 specification.
Syed also noted that an update to the Events page is in progress.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Bob Ross reported that Roy Leventhal provided an updated model
library to EIA on June 29 for the eigroup.org website.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
No new issues.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation)
  No report.
- JEDEC Activity Report.
  Nothing to report.

DATE/PCB EAST SUMMIT DISCUSSION
Michael Mirmak reviewed the current plans for DATE/PCB EAST. An IBIS
Summit is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, October 21, but specific
locations and times have not yet been determined. Bob Ross suggested that
a call for papers be issued in mid-August. He noted that the
attendance at this event has usually been good.

DESIGNCON SUMMIT DISCUSSION
Bob Ross observed that arrangements for DesignCon 2004 should be almost
identical to those in previous years. Michael Mirmak and Stephen
Peters noted that the DesignCon planners had already contacted them
regarding co-sponsorship and other issues. Guy deBurgh mentioned that
he has reserved time away from work for DesignCon and is willing to
transport and set up the IBIS booth at the event. Michael thanked him
for his efforts. Syed and Michael have accepted an AR to obtain the
latest contact information for DesignCon to post on the IBIS web site.

IBIS VERSION 4.0 PARSER FUNDING AND STATUS
Michael Mirmak reported that the Open Forum has received a commitment
from an additional company to purchase an IBISCHK4 parser license.
This brings the total number of contributing organizations to nine, the
original target. Invoicing will be completed through the GEIA. Stephen
Peters stated that the GEIA had received payment from all other parser
purchasers. Bob Ross noted that payment for the parser should be issued
to the developer by the end of the year or earlier, if possible.

Bob Ross noted that a beta version of IBISCHK4 had been compiled and
is available for download at:

http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/ibischk4_beta

IBIS VERSION 4.1 DISCUSSION
Bob Ross reminded the Open Forum that a text version of IBIS
version 4.1 is available on the web. Both the text and a PDF version
are available at:

  http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/wip/

Few comments have been received on 4.1, though parser author Atul
Agarwal has addressed several key issues. Lynne Green and Bob Ross
have been collecting feedback for future discussion. Stephen Peters
suggested that formal readings of 4.1 begin during Open Forum meetings,
to review each BIRD change individually. After three readings, the
specification can be presented to the Open Forum for an approval vote.
The Open Forum consensus was to address detailed technical issues in
a separate committee with recommendations presented to the Open
Forum for individual review and approval.

Michael accepted an AR to establish a technical committee for 4.1 review.
In addition, Stephen proposed specifically discussing the relationship
between BIRD75, the [Ramp] keyword, and the C_comp subparameter in the
next Open Forum meeting.

IBIS QUALITY COMMITTEE
Robert Haller reported that the Quality Committee met on July 15, with
eight attendees. The Committee continues to meet every two weeks and
holds good discussions. The next meeting is scheduled for July 29.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE
Lynne Green reported that models have been sent to the Committee from
Analog Devices in Ireland. These have been distributed to the
Committee members. Lynne noted that EDA tool vendors are welcome to
join the Committee.

NEW ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES
No new issues.

S2IBIS3
Bob Ross noted that a "first step" revision of S2IBIS3 is available
from students at North Carolina State University (NCSU), specifically
Ambrish Varna. This version is written in Java and does not support
conversion of all keywords (for example, support for [Series Current] and
MOSFET-related I-V tables is still in the planning stage). Syed Huq
mentioned that he had installed Java and was actively validating the S2IBIS3
software. Syed also inquired about the Open Forum's policy toward
development of software which generates IBIS models. Bob Ross stated that
the Open Forum does not provide funds for development which
competes with products produced by Open Forum members. Free, open
source software may be linked through the IBIS web site. Michael Mirmak
accepted an AR to obtain a link to the S2IBIS3 software for posting to the
IBIS web site.

BIRD82 - Clarification of Clamp Table Use
Lynne Green and Robert Haller introduced BIRD82, which changes language
in the specification to clarify how clamp effects are to be combined
with pullup and pulldown data without double-counting. At present,
there is no way to address double-counting issues with parser
checks alone. Bob Ross raised several concerns regarding the syntax
and format of the BIRD plus the suggestion that the specification should
avoid making specific algorithmic recommendations. Lynne Green and
Robert Haller will revise and resubmit the BIRD.

BIRD74.4 - EMI Parameters
Guy de Burgh reported that he had received additional comments on the
syntax of BIRD 74.4 from Bob Ross and others. Guy will reissue
the BIRD as 74.5 when all suggestions and editorial changes have been
received and included.

IBISCHK4 & BUG TRACKING STATUS
Thanks to efforts by Guy deBurgh, Lynne Green and Bob Ross, a beta version
of the IBISCHK4 parser, compiled for several operating systems, can be
found at:

http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/ibischk4_beta

Test cases will be provided to the Quality committee for their review.
Bob Ross reviewed the procedure for approval of the IBISCHK4 parser.
The beta code will be provided to all licensees for their review. All
BUG reports, including the analysis of the developer, will be closed
through review in the Open Forum. John Angulo noted that checking
of BUGs 68 and 78 have yet to be completed. In addition, there were
minor differences noted between the developer's reference output and
the actual output of the software.

IBIS ICM SPECIFICATION REVIEW
Michael Mirmak reported that a single message was received as feedback
on the IBIS Interconnect Specification (ICM), in response to the recent
electronic call for review. The issue raised was substantially similar
to comments made at the recent IBIS Summit. At this point, formal
readings will be scheduled in the Open Forum to move the ICM toward
an approval vote.

NEXT MEETINGS:
A brief discussion was held on whether to hold a meeting on August 29,
before a major US holiday. Lynne Green suggested that, with the high number
of documents now being analyzed, the meeting should be moved to August 22.
This issue will be closed at the August 8 meeting.

The next teleconference meeting is scheduled for August 8, 2003 from 8:00
AM to 10:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time.

                               NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Michael Mirmak (916) 356-4261, Fax: (916) 377-1046
            michael.mirmak@intel.com
            Senior Analog Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S FM6-45
            1900 Prairie City Rd.
            Folsom, CA 95630

VICE CHAIR: Lynne Green (425) 788-0412, Fax (425) 451-1871
            lgreen@cadence.com
            Senior Modeling Engineer, Cadence Design Systems
            320 120th Ave NE, Suite B-103, Bellevue, WA 98005-3016

SECRETARY: Randy Wolff (208) 363-1764, Fax: (208) 368-3475
            rrwolff@micron.com
            Simulation Engineer, Micron Technology, Inc.
            8000 S. Federal Way
            Mail Stop: 1-711
            Boise, ID 83707-0006

LIBRARIAN: Roy Leventhal (847) 590-9398
            roy.leventhal@ieee.org
            Consultant, Leventhal Design and Communications
            1924 North Burke Drive
            Arlington Heights, Illinois 60004

WEBMASTER: Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            shuq@cisco.com
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 497-5077, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            John_angulo@mentor.com
            Development Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  majordomo@eda.org
      In the body, for the IBIS Open Forum Reflector:
      subscribe ibis <your e-mail address>

      In the body, for the IBIS Users' Group Reflector:
      subscribe ibis-users <your e-mail address>

      Help and other commands:
      help

  ibis-request@eda.org
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      (ibis@eda.org), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector (ibis-users@eda.org)
      or both. State your request.

  ibis-info@eda.org
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  ibis@eda.org
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector. This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibis-users@eda.org
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector. This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns. Job posting information is not permitted.

  ibischk-bug@eda.org
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs. The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported
      bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, and
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual IBIS
models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the Electronic
Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results. You can get on via FTP anonymous.