Re: [IBIS] ECL Termination Voltage Question

Subject: Re: [IBIS] ECL Termination Voltage Question
From: Bob Ross (bob@teraspeed.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 17:01:22 PST

Hi Mike:

[Ramp] is required for the IBIS compliance even when
V-T tables are provided. Most EDA tools rely on
this requirement to make use of the ramp information.

When V-T tables were added to IBIS we decided to continue
requiring [Ramp] so that users had a backup method to
use the model for EDA tools that had not yet implemented
the V-T support. But we also chose to not add anymore
features to [Ramp] because a "full featured" [Ramp] would
still be less accurate than the corresponding V-T
table information.

My other responses are in your text.

Bob

Michael Sachtjen wrote:

> Bob,
>
> You have a lot more experience with IBIS than I, but
> your statement "[Ramp] is not used when you have V-T
> tables" seem misleading. It's my understanding that
> the simulators (Cadence at least) need to know the
> switching time and dV from the [Ramp] even though
> waveforms are provided? Please correct me if I'm
> wrong.

You are correct. Most EDA tools still used the
[Ramp] information because it is a required keyword.

> I don't mean to confuse the issue; I know this thread
> is not about the Ramp. I only want to clearify that
> you can't just put 1/1 in for the ramp if you have V-T
> tables.

You are correct. Even if V-T tables are provided, the
[Ramp] information still needs to be realistic.

> - Mike

[.... deleted messages ....]

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC