Re: [IBIS] *-AMS modeling and hurting companies?

From: Scott McMorrow <scott_at_.....>
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 13:38:02 PST
Syed

I have a number of comments, which I am copying to the IBIS community,
because I think they have general applicability to all IBIS futures
discussions.

Syed Huq wrote:

>Matlab cannot do a post layout simulation but there are EDA tools with
>AMS support that can.

You are mixing capabilities.  Neither can AMS do a post layout
simulation.  However, tools have chosen to loosely integrate AMS into
their post-layout board flow.  At the same time, there is at least one
EDA vendor that I know of which is also looking at integrating Matlab
into their post-layout flow as well. Why?  Because there are a number of
SERDES vendors who have endorsed Matlab as the standard simulation
vehicle for their devices.  Matlab has proved to provide simulation
support for stochastic processes, which is essential for verification of
the extremely low BER channels that are being designed today.  It is a
reasonable alternative to other proprietary communication system
simulation environments, including Ansoft Designer, Agilent ADS and
Cadence MGH (I believe that is what it's called), especially when it is
supported by some major silicon vendors and their validated models..

>Encrypted HSPICE on a post layout simulation is not practical
>considering the same with AMS can run 275X faster !

You are correct in saying that AMS can /*sometimes*/ run significantly
faster than HSPICE encrypted models. (See other discussions of this
below.)  The question becomes, is that a true determining factor given
the significant approximations and model reduction that must be done to
accomplish a full board post-layout simulation?  AMS certainly has the
capability of providing simulation support for pretty much anything.
There's no doubt about that.  But, as I see it, there are several
complementary issues that first must be looked at:

   1. Do the capabilities of device modeling necessarily translate into
      a better, or more accurate, simulation?
          * Certainly the potential is there. But all modeling is an
            approximation.  It remains to be seen if vendors can provide
            AMS models of their devices which have good correlation to
            measurements.  Mentor's experience with Altera Stratix is a
            good start.  However, as we all know, even in the IBIS 3.2
            world there are some very good models out there with
            extremely high correlation to measurement, and some
            extremely bad models that have absolutely no relationship to
            a real device.  However, I do agree that the potential is there.
   2. Can the board level tools accurately simulate a system with
      advanced AMS models and provide accurate results?
          * Lets start with HSPICE as the baseline.  Certainly SiSoft,
            Sigrity, Mentor and Cadence, among others, can simulate nets
            extracted from full board layouts.  So, it safe to say that
            if an AMS version of the same model is available, at no
            accuracy loss from the original, then the AMS simulation has
            the potential of the same accuracy at higher simulation
            throughput.  On the surface this seems to be a good thing.
          * However, when one looks at the class of models that a
            designer would like to simulate with HSPICE (or Matlab)
            instead of IBIS, there are several very clear classes of
            simulation problems that can be observed:
                o Advanced SERDES devices with driver and receiver
                  equalization, including preemphasis, deemphasis,
                  multi-tap FIR filtering at both the driver and
                  receiver, along with DFE and adaptive closed loop
                  out-of-band control.
                o Drivers with on-chip PVT compensation, of both the
                  analog and digital varieties.
                o Multi-driver/multi-receiver SSO and SSI simulations
                  ... including driver and receiver noise and slew rate
                  push out.
                o Others that my feeble mind cannot think of at the
                  moment ...?
          * Let's look at these in reverse order:
                o *SSO/SSI ... including driver and receiver noise and
                  skew rate push out
                  *
                      + For accurate SSO/SSI simulations a simulator
                        must be able to accurately model the driver and
                        receiver electronics, the predriver circuitry,
                        the I/O delivery system from the PCB back
                        through the package to the silicon, vias stacks,
                        antipads, balls, capacitors, and  all subsequent
                        trace modeling.
                      + These models must include the full partial
                        inductance loop and not reduce them into a
                        transmission line equivalent loop inductance.
                        This means that the simulator must be capable of
                        modeling interconnect with only one connection
                        to an absolute voltage reference node (SPICE
                        node 0) in the circuit, not multiple connections
                        like many board level model extractors do.
                      + There is no reason why an AMS device model
                        cannot be used in this type of simulation.
                        However, the only board/package level time
                        domain signal integrity tool that comes even
                        close to modeling an SSO/SSI problem correctly
                        is Sigrity Speed 2000.  Other board level SI
                        tools that I know of will currently incorrectly
                        model the extremely critical signal and power
                        return paths.
                      + However, if I had a highly accurate AMS model
                        that replicated the full HSPICE driver/receiver
                        behavior as outlined above, I would then wonder
                        what it's performance w.r.t. the original model
                        would be?  Probably not 275X.  No one that I
                        know of has yet benchmarked an AMS model with
                        such complexity and correlated it to either
                        measurements or the original SPICE.  SPICE
                        simulation time is generally proportional to the
                        complexity of the things being modeled.  There
                        is nothing inherently faster about the
                        computational numerics of an AMS language. In
                        fact, I would suspect that for the equivalent
                        behavioral modeling block, AMS is actually
                        slower than other approaches, because it is a
                        general language and is not optimized for
                        specific elements as something like SPICE is.
                        (For example, a B-element in HSPICE should be
                        significantly faster then a B-element created
                        out of AMS primitives.) The appeal of AMS is
                        it's generality.  However, once an
                        apples-to-apples comparison of a  complete I/O
                        driver cell including: core power, predriver
                        behavior, I/O cell behavior, I/O power and full
                        return path modeling is available, I will be
                        interested in seeing it compared to the original
                        SPICE model for accuracy and simulation
                        throughput.  */The question in my mind is not
                        whether an AMS language can provide full
                        modeling of the SSO/SSI problem, it is rather
                        whether the problem can be abstracted to a model
                        order reduced  level where an AMS simulation has
                        a performance advantage over SPICE, with
                        near-equivalent accuracy./* This is a point that
                        I would consider a good topic for some serious
                        academic research.
                o *PVT compensation*
                      + Here's a place where AMS could potentially
                        shine. In SPICE, digital PVT compensation
                        circuits run extremely slow, because they are
                        state machines. They are not particularly
                        difficult to implement behaviorally with a
                        digital-analog event-driven simulator.  But,
                        they are often closely guarded IP.  As such, it
                        will be important for silicon vendors to be able
                        to protect the IP in some way.  I take it as an
                        article of faith that the AMS model of a basic
                        PVT compensated buffer will always be faster
                        then the SPICE equivalent.  However, I do not
                        take it as a given that when the same buffer is
                        fully modeled for all power, ground, control and
                        signal paths that it will necessarily be faster
                        than the original SPICE model.  I'm not from
                        Missouri, but /*Show-me*/ anyway.
                o *Advanced SERDES and communication links*
                      + Equalization circuits of all sorts lend
                        themselves to an AMS language naturally.  I'll
                        take that as a statement of fact.  Matlab has
                        such a current lead here, because it can
                        approach the problem from both the time domain
                        with an algebraic language and from the
                        frequency domain with a matrix language, FFT,
                        iFFT and convolution techniques.  Additionally,
                        a bit of stochastic process work can be thrown
                        into the mix for jitter and BER analysis.
                      + On the other hand, there is no reason why AMS
                        cannot be used similarly.  It has apparently
                        made some inroads in the academic community in
                        the modeling of wireless communication channels
                        and compares favorably with ADS simulations.
                        The great hope is that we might have seamless
                        integration of AMS into a board level signal
                        integrity tool and obtain the holy grail:  /*A
                        turnkey high performance differential
                        time-domain/frequency-domain baseband
                        communication system simulator that works from
                        multiple extracted board databases, and
                        seamlessly integrates all of the disparate
                        pieces from multiple modeling environments.*/
                      + However, there are some current issues with
                        today's board level signal integrity tools:
                            # Trace parametric extraction is mediocre at
                              best.  For accurate simulation of
                              differential communication channels, the
                              frequency dependent behavior of traces is
                              extremely important.  Especially important
                              in Sonet architectures are the amplitude
                              and phase delay characteristics w.r.t.
                              frequency across an extremely wide
                              bandwidth (80:1).  Trace parametric
                              modeling for all of the current tools
                              utilize BEM or MOM solvers which
                              inaccurately extract the necessary
                              broadband parameters and feed them to one
                              of several variants of the w-element
                              algorithm or other rational approximation,
                              where they are additionally distorted,
                              unless specific means are taken in the
                              algorithm to provide causality and
                              passivity correction.
                            # Measurement-based methods of entering
                              trace parameters through s-parameters or
                              other lossy modeling methods suffer from
                              the inability to model worst-case
                              parametric corners, and to easily sweep
                              the results across various channel lengths.
                            # Padstack and viastack extraction is
                              abominable.  Current approaches in all of
                              the board level SI tools are either
                              absolutely incorrect, inadequate, or
                              limited by the spatial complexity of the
                              problem, using crude lumped element
                              approximations,  infinite return path
                              approximations for the frequency dependent
                              behavior of vias, other incorrect return
                              path assumptions, no consideration of the
                              fullwave behavior of a via or pad
                              in-system at all, or even a simple lumped
                              capacitor approximation.  Many of the
                              current SI tool approachs for via and pad
                              modeling are dead wrong and have limited
                              applicability to signaling above 1 GHz.
                            # Simulations of the boundary areas between
                              the PCBs, connectors and packages fail to
                              take into account the electromagnetic
                              interactions between each structure.  A
                              clear cut boundary is drawn between each
                              element, which is not as clear cut as it
                              might at first pass seem, and
                              significantly effects the final broadband
                              result.  This is not a simple problem and
                              is currently one that is only solved by
                              true 3D solvers, like Ansoft HFSS and CST MWS.
                            # Poor SSO/SSI modeling as indicated in the
                              section above.
                            # Most mis correlations between simulation
                              and measurement fall into one of these
                              four areas.  As such, even a faster AMS
                              model in a board level SI tool may only
                              give the wrong result faster. (The same
                              comments apply to HSPICE simulations which
                              have the same passive modeling defects.)

>We use both Matlab and Encr-HSPICE and would opt for AMS anyday.

I suspect you mean that you would use AMS any day over Matlab and HSPICE
if the results you achieved were comparable and correlated to
measurement, if the simulation performance was better, and if the
integration into your tool environment was equivalent to or better than
other alternatives. Otherwise, there would be no reason to switch.

I am not adverse to gloriously supporting VHDL-AMS or Verilog-AMS as the
language of choice for future IBIS modeling of super nifty advanced
silicon. (We probably do need to hitch our wagon to one or the other, to
avoid dilution of modeling effort.)  I do, however, want to state on the
record, that the implied assumption that AMS modeling will somehow solve
all of our IBIS modeling problems is sorely mistaken.  Interaction
between the silicon and that pesky passive interconnect must be dealt
with simultaneously, if we are to believe that our simulation results
have true high-fidelity to measured results.

The good news for me, is that at Teraspeed® Consulting, we've solved the
problems of accurate interconnect modeling and subsequent correlation to
measurement in both the time and frequency domain from DC to 40 GHz.  If
we had VHDL-AMS models of the silicon, and an appropriate simulation
environment, we could significantly enhance our capabilities and start
verifying those 40 Gbps designs of the near future.  Or we could just
wait for those HSPICE simulation runs to complete.

best regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Grand Poobah

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC