Re: [IBIS] *-AMS modeling and hurting companies?

From: Scott McMorrow <scott_at_.....>
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 22:18:08 PDT
Syed Huq wrote:

>We will show HSPICE, Lab Measurements, AMS(IBISv4.1) correlations for a
>3.125Gbps SerDes Channel with benchmarking results at the Mentor Users
>Group Seminar on Apr27th (www.mentor.com). It will be quite exciting for
>any current and future IBIS users who have a little doubt about what
>capabilities IBISv4.1 can have with *AMS support.

Syed,

This is good news indeed.  I have no doubt that AMS can be used to model
pretty much anything in the Analog world. As I said previously:

The question is not whether an AMS language can provide full modeling ... , it is rather whether the problem can be abstracted to a model order reduced level where an AMS simulation has a performance advantage over SPICE, with near-equivalent accuracy.

As soon as you are able to share the information in the paper, I will
look forward to reviewing your results.  I will be especially interested
in the following correlations:

    * waveforms of driver and package driven directly into the perfectly
      terminated input of 20 GHz or greater bandwidth DSO,
    * measurements of driven waveforms at various different common mode
      DC operating points,
    * TDR measurements of the driver and the receiver,
    * waveform measurements of short low loss channels with high return
      loss near the Nyquist frequency,
    * noise impacts on the recovered signal at the receiver,
    * and SSO/SSI and crosstalk effects that were modeled.

best regards,

Scott