[IBIS] RE: [IBIS-Users] [Question] about a true differential buffer in a [Component]

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 15:49:10 PDT
Shulong,

I will start with a quote from the IBIS specification from the
[External Model] section:

| The [Diff Pin] keyword is still required within the same
| [Component] definition when [External Model] describes a true
| differential buffer.  The models referenced by each pin listed
| under [Diff Pin] MUST be the same.

This means that you must have two pins on the [Pin] list calling
the SAME model name, and these two pins must be associated as
a differential pair using the [Diff Pin] keyword.

What may be confusing about this is that we have are instantiating
a [Model] in which we have a true differential [External Model]
that has two I/O terminals.  The name of this single [Model]
is mentioned twice on the [Pin] list, but regardless of that, it
is instantiated only once, because it contains a true differential
model having two I/O terminals.  (If the [Model] contained a normal
single ended model, it would be instantiated once for each pin, a
total of two times).

I hope this gave an answer to your question.

Arpad