RE: [IBIS] BIRD95.5: Power Integrity Analysis using IBIS

From: Lance Wang <lwang_at_.....>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 13:04:31 PDT
Dear Syed et al,
Your IBIS BIRD 95 proposal is one step forward towards a solution in
which we can leverage IBIS in SSN and PI analyses. We appreciate the
efforts of you and others who have contributed to this BIRD, and hope
that we can all reap its benefits in the future.

However, at this point in time, there are still some concerns/questions
we have on the current proposal and would like to get these addressed
before casting a supporting vote:

1.	BIRD 95 focuses only on ONE pin at this time. We understand this
is the "traditional" way IBIS looks at the problem. But, while we agree
the BIRD appears to solve the challenge of modeling ONE buffer into ONE
load, the degradation effects of MANY buffers switching is not accounted
for (and may even be pre-empted by forcing the I/T characteristic of ONE
buffer).
2.	We also found that the "composite current" in BIRD 95 is likely
under-specified right now (i.e., not enough data) to do the analysis
accurately due to the strong dependency of the crowbar/pre-drive current
on the specific load seen (Sam Chitwood had a presentation in DesignCon
West 2005 mentioned this as well. Page 12,
http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/summits/jan05/chitwood.pdf). We do think
this is an important piece that needs to be sorted out, especially if we
intend to deal with SSN and PI at the system level, which we believe is
the right approach.

To take the next step forward, we ask you to give out your SPICE
reference circuit to the public as Intel did when IBIS was originally
proposed. Thus, the rest of us can better understand your
perspective/assumptions. Donald Telian asked for this publicly at
DesignCon West 2005. And we all happily heard Sergio's positive
response.

This is why I had suggested moving the Voting out for couple of weeks at
least on this BIRD. Extending the vote out will allow us collectively to
address the issues raised above by Cadence as well as others in the IBIS
community. Should you decide to continue with the voting this Friday,
Cadence will have to vote NO, since we think we can collectively come up
with an improved proposal that addresses the goals and objectives for
SSN and PI.

We are working on extending this IBIS 95.5 proposal to address the
issues I raised above. We will share our ideas, proposal and reference
data/circuits when it is ready.

Thank you, and let's take IBIS forward together!

Lance Wang
Cadence Design Systems, Inc.