Re: [IBIS] DC sweep

From: Andrew Ingraham <a.ingraham_at_.....>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 06:25:40 PDT
DC sweepSivaram,

It sounds like you are confusing the purpose of sweeping the V-I curves.  It has nothing to do with edge-triggered or level-sensitive.

The only thing you apply the swept voltage to, is the IC pin (actually, the bonding pad).  If your IC has an output buffer connected to that pin, the swept voltage goes to the output of that buffer, but NOT to its input.  Its input should be connected to the normal things you would normally connect to the input of that buffer; not the swept DC source.

The purpose of the DC sweep is to measure the current vs. voltage relationship at the pin.  If the pin has an output or I/O buffer connected to the pin, then that I-V relationship depends very strongly on the state of the output buffer, which might be inactive (hi-Z), driving low, or driving high; and you need to extract the I-V relationships separately in each of those states.  You need to place the output buffer into each of those states (through whatever internal controls the buffer has), one at a time, and then sweep the voltage at the pin and measure the current, each time with the buffer held in one state (i.e., constant voltages applied to its edge-triggered or level-sensitive internal nodes).  Then change those internal nodes to put the buffer into its next state, and sweep the external voltage again.

If the pin is just an input buffer, then (unless the buffer has feedback, like a "bus-hold" device, which makes it problematic for IBIS) it doesn't make much difference what the input buffer is doing, whether it is toggling, etc.  Just sweep the input pin's voltage and measure the input current.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Andy

  How can I extract V-I curves when the O/P of my buffer is edge-triggered
  and not level-sensitive?

  Basically, I have to do DC sweep to extract these curves.But I cannot
  connect my inputs to steady voltage values as the O/P is edge-triggered, which
  needs transient analysis.

  Would anyone of you please let me know how to go about these buffers to extract
  VI curves?

  Thanks in advance,
  Sivaram