RE: [IBIS] More Details about Vinh+, Vinh-, Vinl+, Vinl- (clarification)

From: Sudarshan Honnudike <sudarshan.honnudike_at_.....>
Date: Sun Sep 17 2006 - 23:00:45 PDT
Hello All,

Can anybody reply to my message that I have sent few days back. I need a
urgent reply.

FYI..

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Sudarshan HN
CTO /Process & Library Technology
NXP Semiconductors
Banglore-08
Ph:080-25579000  Extn:1586
seri:sudarsha@inpsblr
E-mail: sudarshan.honnudike@philips.com

Sudarshan Honnudike
Sent by:
owner-ibis@server.eda.org

"Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@intel.com>
cc
ibis@server.eda-stds.org
Subject
RE: [IBIS] More Details about Vinh+, Vinh-, Vinl+, Vinl- (clarification)
Classification

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Actually I was aware of your explanation that you have explained in the
first three paragraphs. I wanted more
explanation for the fourth paragraph that you have written.

I am really not convinced about the two thresholds they define( Vinh+ and
Vinh- for rising waveform and Vinl+ & Vinl-
for falling waveform).

        What we normally do is , to apply a rising waveform and measure
the input voltage at which output switches from low to high.
So this gives Vinh and apply a falling waveform and measure the input
voltage at which output switched from high to low.So this gives Vinl.

So where is the question of two thresholds there ? At one point it
switches.

What I understand from these definitions after discussing with the
designers is, these parameters define the hysteresis parameters
over the variation in temperature and process. Measure the Vinh and Vinl
over best, typical and worst case corners by varying
the temperature and process and keeping the voltage constant.

I just tried doing simulations in the way I said above and these are the
results I got for one cell.
                        Typical                 Best  Worst

Vinh                        0.864                        0.878  0.828

Vinl                        0.846                        0.873  0.792

So take two values from Vinh which gives Vinh+ and Vinh- and take two
values from Vinl which gives Vinl+ and Vinl-.

From the above example we can write

Vinh+                0.878
Vinh-                0.828
Vinl+                0.873
Vinl-                0.792

I dont know what I have understood is correct or not. Please correct me if
I am wrong by giving necessary explanation.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Sudarshan HN
CTO /Process & Library Technology
NXP Semiconductors
Banglore-08
Ph:080-25579000  Extn:1586
seri:sudarsha@inpsblr
E-mail: sudarshan.honnudike@philips.com

"Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@intel.com>

<ibis@server.eda-stds.org>
Sudarshan Honnudike/BTC/SC/PHILIPS@PHILIPS
cc

Subject
RE: [IBIS] More Details about Vinh+, Vinh-, Vinl+, Vinl- (clarification)
Classification

To clarify, I did not enclose a drawing in my original e-mail -- my last
sentences were referring to the specification document itself.  An
explanation of hysteresis and a drawing of a sample waveform are available
in the IBIS 4.2 specification, on pages 37 and 38 of the PDF version.

The PDF is available at http://www.eda-stds.org/ibis/ver4.2/.

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum