RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] Ibis open drain strange behaviour

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh_at_.....>
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 07:16:13 PST
Sorry for the delay in reply - I took the weekend off ;-)

As far as non-time correlation between IBIS and transistor models goes - no,
it isn't a problem at all.  It's just important that people understand what
a model represents and what it doesn't, so that they can draw the right
conclusions from their simulations.  I was just re-iterating one of my
favorite points with "time 0 in an IBIS model is arbitrary".

To your point, it's worth noting that time 0 in a spice model-based
simulation is often arbitrary as well.  A spice model represents only the
output buffer at most, so if you're analyzing a device with a clock-to-out
timing specification, you still need to figure out how to combine the delays
measured in simulation with the timing spec for the device.

I think people often ascribe too much credibility to spice models.  The
model you receive is a function of how the netlist and parasitics for the
buffer were extracted - it's far too easy to become confused about what part
of the overall device the spice model represents.

As to page 70 of the IBIS cookbook - I agree with what it says.  That
particular page is assuming a DDR device, so that a 100 MHz clock yields
200M transfers/sec, each with a 5 ns UI.  Let's suppose you have a model
with a 6ns rising V-T curve for this case.  The simulator will trigger the
curve, begin sweeping the output, and then get retriggered at the 5ns point
- before the rising edge is complete.  What should the simulator do?

- should it just jump to the start of the falling curve (if it does, you may
get a discontinuity on the output that can either glitch the output or cause
a convergence problem)

- should the simulator "pipeline" the waveform results, and just remember
the next edge starts 1 ns later - and if the input edges keep coming faster
than the curve length, how long should the simulator keep this up before it
starts clipping data?

... my earlier point was that the IBIS spec has no guidance on how a
simulator should handle "overclocking" and different simulators DO handle
this issue different ways.  That being the case, it's best to avoid the
problem by complying with the strong recommendation on page 70.

As far as curve trimming goes, allow me to provide a *brief* overview,
although I'm sure this subject has been discussed previously.  Pointers into
the archive for this subject from others would be appreciated.

Let's consider a push-pull output stage instead of open drain - open-drain
will just be a simpler case.

Each output should have the following V-T curves

	[Corners]         x [Edge]             x [Loading]

	[Min / Typ / Max] x [Rising / Falling] x [50 ohms GND / 50 ohms
VDDQ]

... for a total of 12 sets of V-T curves.

... for each [Corner]/[Loading] combination, it is ESSENTIAL that if you
trim dead time off one curve, you trim the SAME amount of dead time off the
other.  As an example, if you trim 1ns off the start of the
[Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms GND] curve, you MUST trim 1ns off the
[Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms VDDQ] curve.  If the second curve was already rising
at that point, well, you need to trim less.

This is what's called "time correlation" between curves, and it must be
maintained.

... good practice dictates that you coordinate your trimming across all four
of the V-T waveforms for any corner.  If you don't do this, you'll introduce
duty cycle distortion into the simulated waveform without meaning to.  I
believe this is now considered to be required practice.  So, if you trim 1ns
off the start of the [Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms GND] curve, you really, really
should trim 1ns off the following curves:

	[Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms VDDQ]
	[Min]/[Falling]/[50 ohms GND]
	[Min]/[Falling]/[50 ohms VDDQ]

... so that time correlation is maintained across all the [Min] curves.  As
before, if you go to trim any of the curves and find the transition was
already starting, you need to trim less.

I don't believe IBIS requires that you coordinate trimming across corners.
Thus, you can trim different amounts from the [Min] and [Typ] curve sets.
In practice, you'll find this is useful because if you try to coordinate
trimming across a 3 corners, the amount you are able to trim may be sharply
limited.  It's important to understand, though, that if you trim different
amounts from the different corners, the time correlation between the corners
will be lost.  Strictly speaking, that's not a problem, as time 0 in an IBIS
simulation is arbitrary.  HOWEVER - if users of the model simulate the [Min]
and [Typ] cases and overlay the results, they will draw incorrect
conclusions if they assume the curves are time-correlated.

It probably goes without saying, but - you can trim any amount of dead time
you want off the END of a curve once the slope is zero.  Good practice says
the last two points should form a line with zero slope, so that any
extrapolation the simulator performs does what you expect.

As in all modeling - knowing what you've got is the first step in
understanding what conclusions you can draw.

Arpad & others - please correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong ...

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft