Re: [IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] Ibis open drain strange behaviour

From: Dimitry Eisenshtat <Dimitry.Eisenshtat_at_.....>
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 14:01:37 PST
Hi Todd,
first of all - thanks for your reply, as I said, I'm writing script for
trimming V/T tables in order to satisfy Cookbook recommendation, so your
explanation is really useful. Thank you :)

Ok, I see from your virtual DDR example that "over clocking" should
require special treatment on IBIS simulator side, and I finally decide
to avoid such situations and create IBIS models with V/T tables time
window up to  half of minimum signal period the buffer designed for.

Now some words about HOW I will do it. I think the most important point
you mentioned is "time correlation" of all given corner curves. I want
use simple algorithm for automatically trimming V/T curves, let me
explain. Lets say we have 12 transients, exactly as in your (most
common) example of push-pull buffer simulated in 3 corners with load of
50 ohm once to supply, once to ground. The steps will be:

1) Run spice simulations (with s2ibis* or manually, does not matter)
with as small time step as it possible for simulation time large enough
for weakest conditions (corner/load) transition to be finally completed.
The idea is to begin with "ideal" time resolution for all transitions
regions in our 12 curves.

2) For each curve find largest time interval (T1,T2) which satisfy
voltage tolerance of delta from initial and final DC solutions, i.e.
  |(V(T1)-Vstart)/VDD|  < Vtol,
  |(V(T2)-Vend)/VDD|    < Vtol
where Vtol tolerance chosen smaller than IBISCHK's one so the checker
will not report "DC endpoints" warning on trimmed tables latter. All
data points outside of this interval (T1,T2) are declared "dead zones"
and have no importance. So the Vtol value actually plays as "dead zones"
definition criteria and should be the parameter to be changed if needed.

3) For all curves (rising/falling/load) of given corner find the minimum
T1 value, lets define it as T1_typ, T1_slow, T1_fast or T1_<corner>.

4) Calculate maximum interval dT_max = max {|T2-T1_<corner>|} for ALL
curves.

5) Shift all curves for given corner left in time by T1_<corner> value.

6) Truncate all curves at time dT_max (from new 0 time after shifting)

7) Add one points to end of each curve in order to form a line with zero
slope for case of some simulators extrapolation will be needed.

8) Remember, we start from "the best" time resolution, so it is possible
that we get desire time window from overclocking point of view, but
number of points in final V/T tables still exceeds the maximum allowed
by IBIS spec. In this case I suggest to use "greatest change algorithm"
in order to decrease the number of tables points, as it described in
Cookbook (pages 63-64).

As the result, if I have no mistake, we will get "corner time-
correlated" tables. However, across corners correlation is not
guaranteed. My assumption is that the user will be interested in
analyzing the buffer's (buffer itself, I mean not control logic but
pullup/pulldown devices which actually drive the pad) corner-specific
behavioral/differences, so I at least do not worsen the model quality,
or even improve it. Anyway,  in some cases there will be no possibility
to satisfy "overclocking free" condition without shifting the corner's
curves one to each other, in other words without trimming different
amounts from different corners.

Does it make sense? I like to complete realizing this algorithm in perl
and try it on last DDR2 model I produced. Only IBIS simulator I have is
HSpice, so the plan is to compare the behavioral of IBIS model before
and after trimming. I hope the HSpice is bad enough in "over clocking"
scenario, otherwise I will see no difference/improvements anyway :)

Regards,
    Dmitry

Todd Westerhoff wrote:
> [...]
> although I'm sure this subject has been discussed previously.  Pointers into
> the archive for this subject from others would be appreciated.
>
> Let's consider a push-pull output stage instead of open drain - open-drain
> will just be a simpler case.
>
> Each output should have the following V-T curves
>
> 	[Corners]         x [Edge]             x [Loading]
>
> 	[Min / Typ / Max] x [Rising / Falling] x [50 ohms GND / 50 ohms
> VDDQ]
>
> ... for a total of 12 sets of V-T curves.
>
> ... for each [Corner]/[Loading] combination, it is ESSENTIAL that if you
> trim dead time off one curve, you trim the SAME amount of dead time off the
> other.  As an example, if you trim 1ns off the start of the
> [Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms GND] curve, you MUST trim 1ns off the
> [Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms VDDQ] curve.  If the second curve was already rising
> at that point, well, you need to trim less.
>
> This is what's called "time correlation" between curves, and it must be
> maintained.
>
> ... good practice dictates that you coordinate your trimming across all four
> of the V-T waveforms for any corner.  If you don't do this, you'll introduce
> duty cycle distortion into the simulated waveform without meaning to.  I
> believe this is now considered to be required practice.  So, if you trim 1ns
> off the start of the [Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms GND] curve, you really, really
> should trim 1ns off the following curves:
>
> 	[Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohms VDDQ]
> 	[Min]/[Falling]/[50 ohms GND]
> 	[Min]/[Falling]/[50 ohms VDDQ]
>
> ... so that time correlation is maintained across all the [Min] curves.  As
> before, if you go to trim any of the curves and find the transition was
> already starting, you need to trim less.
>
> I don't believe IBIS requires that you coordinate trimming across corners.
> Thus, you can trim different amounts from the [Min] and [Typ] curve sets.
> In practice, you'll find this is useful because if you try to coordinate
> trimming across a 3 corners, the amount you are able to trim may be sharply
> limited.  It's important to understand, though, that if you trim different
> amounts from the different corners, the time correlation between the corners
> will be lost.  Strictly speaking, that's not a problem, as time 0 in an IBIS
> simulation is arbitrary.  HOWEVER - if users of the model simulate the [Min]
> and [Typ] cases and overlay the results, they will draw incorrect
> conclusions if they assume the curves are time-correlated.
>
> It probably goes without saying, but - you can trim any amount of dead time
> you want off the END of a curve once the slope is zero.  Good practice says
> the last two points should form a line with zero slope, so that any
> extrapolation the simulator performs does what you expect.
>
> As in all modeling - knowing what you've got is the first step in
> understanding what conclusions you can draw.
>
> Arpad & others - please correct me if I've gotten any of this wrong ...

  | Dmitry Aizenshtat         Circuit Design Engineer, NSTA |
  | Tel : 972-9-9702-020               Fax : 972-9-9702-001 |
  | mailto:dimita@taux01.nsc.com                            |

The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such  a person, please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Winbond is strictly prohibited; and any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Winbond shall be deemed as neither given nor endorsed by Winbond.