RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] Ibis open drain strange behaviour

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh_at_.....>
Date: Tue Jan 16 2007 - 05:59:22 PST
Dimitry,

This is good stuff!  I have a few very small comments:

Step 2: I think you meant you're going to find the *smallest* T1 to T2
interval that satisfies Vtol.  Alternatively, you could find the largest
interval from start to T1.

Step 4: Once you've made this computation, you can determine if you're going
to be able to shift ALL curves by the same amount and stay within the bit
time (i.e. maintain time correlation across min/typ/max), or if you need to
adjust curves by corner - in which case I'd print a message to that effect,
possibly as a comment in the IBIS file itself.

Your conclusion about not needing time correlation across min/typ/max curves
is correct - each corner simulation gets paired with its own set of timing
data (slow/typ/fast) for timing analysis, so time-correlation between
corners isn't required.  That having been said, it's good to preserve
time-correlation between corners when you can, simply because new users
won't necessarily understand the nuances of how SI results get paired with
static timing.

I really like the way you've defined T1 and T2.  I think it would be a good
idea to identify all the different curves as well:

1.  [Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohm GND]
2.  [Min]/[Rising]/[50 ohm VDDQ]
3.  [Min]/[Falling]/[50 ohm GND]
4.  [Min]/[Falling]/[50 ohm VDDQ]
5.  [Typ]/[Rising]/[50 ohm GND]
6.  [Typ]/[Rising]/[50 ohm VDDQ]
7.  [Typ]/[Falling]/[50 ohm GND]
8.  [Typ]/[Falling]/[50 ohm VDDQ]
9.  [Max]/[Rising]/[50 ohm GND]
10. [Max]/[Rising]/[50 ohm VDDQ]
11. [Max]/[Falling]/[50 ohm GND]
12. [Max]/[Falling]/[50 ohm VDDQ]

.... or whatever other convention makes sense.  That way, we could talk
about T1 for Curve 4 and know exactly what we're talking about ...

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft